all date

  • People at higher risk of developing severe COVID-19 disease

    In the course of the coronavirus pandemic and, in particular, since the introduction of vaccines, the assessment of who belongs to an at-risk group has changed significantly. Therefore, at the University of Göttingen, this term is no longer used as it was.

    Of course, in work situations it is still recommended to ensure sufficient distance and/or to wear a face mask. If necessary, the University will issue further rules on this subject, taking into account the current situation regarding infections.

    Staff members who are concerned that they are at high risk of severe Covid-19 disease due to individual health conditions should first talk to their direct manager about the possibility of mobile work (in accordance with the service agreement) or deployment options with only a few contacts. If no mutual solutions can be found that cover the needs of the service, advice should be sought from the Betriebsärztlichen Dienst (occupational health service). There, the health situation must be examined, including seeking expert opinions. After the opinion of Betriebsärztlichen Dienst has been submitted, the next steps should be discussed with the HR Department.

    #5 19.05.2022

  • Events

    Events can be held at the University in accordance with Lower Saxony’s current coronavirus regulations.

    • medical masks compulsory in the buildings and up to the point of taking your seat
    • Room capacities can be fully utilized.

    PLEASE NOTE: At official events, the German occupational health and safety regulations apply and you must wear a face mask until further notice if a distance of 1.5 m between people cannot be maintained. This is particularly important when eating and drinking.

    In view of this, it is recommended that receptions, farewells, PhD receptions and similar events of an official nature be held outdoors rather than inside.

  • Rules for those with an infection and their contacts

    Requirements for anyone with coronavirus and their contacts

    Following the recommendations of Germany’s Ministry of Health and the Robert Koch Institute, the regulations for quarantine and self-isolation were updated on 7 May 2022.

    Anyone who had a positive PCR test for coronavirus, who has been symptom-free for at least 48 hours after five days, can stop self-isolating. However, a negative rapid test is still recommended.

    Only healthcare workers and similar workers are still obliged to submit a negative test result before resuming their work after the end of self-isolation.

    The requirement for close contacts to quarantine has been lifted. However, it is strongly recommended that they reduce their contacts and, in particular, avoid anyone who is at higher risk of serious illness from Covid-19, and to perform a rapid test every day over the next five days. The definition of a contact is a person who was in contact with someone who later tested positive via a PCR test either during the two days leading up to the test or since their positive test was taken and one of the following applies:

    • Person was within 1.5m for more than 10 minutes without protection
    • Person was in a conversation with less than 1.5m without a protection for any length of time
    • Person was more than 10 minutes with someone in a badly ventilated room

    If you have a positive self-test, even if you are vaccinated or have recovered, you should self-isolate (go home), inform your work and close contacts and organise a PCR test. If the PCR test is negative, you may end self-isolation.

    The charts below summarise the new regulations and recommendations.

    Please continue to follow the guidelines from the local health department (Gesundheitsamt) here.

    S / 09.05.2022

  • Rapid Antigen Self-Test

    The University of Göttingen continues to facilitate regular testing for its staff. The rapid antigen self-tests provided by the state of Lower Saxony as part of a project at the University continue to be available for this purpose. The use of these tests is voluntary. Staff are not required to provide information about their vaccination or recovery status.

    These are tests that can be done by members of staff themselves (“Laienschnelltest“). There is no need for input from medical professionals or expertise. The tests provided may vary in the way they are carried out. For more information on the tests and instructions for use, see the Safety/Environmental Section’s web pages here (in German):

    These tests are distributed via institutes. Please see the schedule for the distribution of these tests (in German).Please contact your supervisor for further information. An order cannot be placed via the usual ordering tools of the procurement department. Please coordinate your needs within the institution. The tests are ordered by the appropriate managers in accordance with the ordering procedures shown on the schedule. The orders must be submitted on Mondays for the following week.

    Any managers/directors who do not have information about how to obtain the tests should email:

    The tests should be carried out at home if possible. If you have a positive test result, the rules in the A-Z list under “Infection (suspected or disagnosed), quarantine, symptoms of illness” apply.

    The provision of the rapid tests by the state gives the University the opportunity to optimise its testing strategy, as implemented November 2020 within the framework of the Campus Covid Screen project (CCS), with the rapid tests now available. The option of getting a test done as part of CCS remains unaffected by this and weekly tests are still recommended.

    Please email suggestions or queries to:

    #S 30 March 2022

  • Contact data

    There is currently no requirement to collect contact details to satisfy Lower Saxony’s coronavirus regulations (this was collected in the past using the “Darf ich rein” app).

    #S 29 March 2022

  • admission (international)

    Can I enroll even if I cannot come to Göttingen in person to study onsite?

    You can enroll to study in Göttingen even if you cannot come to Göttingen for the beginning of the winter semester. If you are staying abroad in the meantime and do not have EU citizenship, the requirement to provide proof of German health insurance does not apply for this period. If you have any questions, please contact the International Student Office (

    Please note that in the summer semester 2022, the University will again primarily offer teaching in person. Studying virtually from abroad is no longer possible without significant delays to the study process. It is essential that you contact the study programme coordinator or the faculty offering your study programme and take advantage of advice services if your arrival is delayed.

    #GI 13.04.2022

  • Visitors, staff and students from abroad (incomings)

    Guests may be admitted if the current coronavirus entry regulations of the German government allow this. Rules in detail can be found in the “Rules and procedures for admitting people to the University of Göttingen” (version 3.1, 26 August 2021).

    #GI 13.04.2022

  • Study Abroad and Internships

    Due to the continuing changing environment, students who have already been nominated for an exchange program should contact their direct contacts for updated information.

    Students should always follow the advice of the Auswärtigen Amts (German Foreign Office) about safe travel and pay particular attention to having an adequate level of health insurance abroad.

    Students who would like to find out more about opportunities for studying or internships abroad can make appointments with study abroad advisors at the International Office via the contact form.

    #The International Office, 13 April 2022

  • Entry and arrival in Göttingen

    Information about arrival and about the summer semester 2022 during the coronavirus pandemic can be found here:

    #GI 13.04.2022

  • Residence permit

    Göttingen City and District Ausländerbehörden (Foreigners’ Registration Offices) are open. Due to the increased incidence of infections, the Foreigners’ Registration Office of the city of Göttingen has limited attendance onsite. If you wish to apply for your first residence permit or a renewal of your permit, this must be coordinated in advance by email with the correct department.

    #GI 13.04.2022

  • print & copy

    It is possible to access a machine for printing, scanning and copying in the central library as well as in the departmental libraries.

    Printing is possible during the respective opening hours as shown here:

    Instructions for printing with your smartphone can be found in the StudIT wiki (in German):

    #ÖA 1.04.2022

  • Long-term tuition fees

    Can I be exempted from paying the long-term tuition fees?

    Lower Saxony reacted quickly to recognise the impact of the pandemic on the period of time needed to study, by announcing the opportunity to submit a simplified hardship application without proof in the early summer of 2020. This option has now expired, because all students who were enrolled in at least two of the semesters (Summer 2020, Winter 2020/21 or Summer 2021) and were not on leave of absence, have already been granted an extension of two semesters to their individual standard period of study.

    For students at the University of Göttingen, these extra semesters are automatically stored in the student administration system and a recalculation of your fee will be carried out. If you have been assessed for long-term tuition fees for the first time in one of the semesters mentioned above and it is decided that there has been an overpayment, this will automatically be refunded to you. You do not have to do anything else.

    In addition, students still have the option in individual cases, within the current deadlines, to submit a justified and documented hardship application for a semester in which delays in study time have occurred due to the direct and demonstrable effects of the coronavirus pandemic on teaching and study. This application must be accompanied by appropriate proof and evidence, such as a certificate from the Examinations Office regarding restrictions suffered for instance due to cancelled/postponed compulsory courses/examinations.

    The form for a semester will be available via the forms in eCampus from the start of the lecture period until one month after the end of the lecture period.

    Go to form.

    For further information on long-term tuition fees, please see:

  • chip card (student ID)

    I am newly enrolled. How do I get my account set up and my new chip card (student ID card)?

    Please follow these instructions to receive your student account and student ID.

    Updated: 5 October 2020

    I have lost or damaged my chip card. How do I get a replacement?

    Please follow these instructions to receive a replacement for your student ID.

    Updated: 7 March 2022

    I would like to renew my student ID. Are the printers for renewing cards or the Chip Card Office available? Is there a replacement for the semester ticket?

    For the validation of the chip card (student ID) the printer for renewing cards in the ZHG is available The printers to renew cards in the UMG and Physics libraries as well as at Wilhelmsplatz 4 are also available again.

    Updated: 1 April 2022

    I had my Student ID card blocked because I had lost it. Now I have found it again and would like to have the blocking lifted. How can I do that?

    Then send an email from your student email account (other sources will not be considered for security reasons) Please be sure to include the following information:

    • First and last name, as stated on your official identity card (such as your passport)
    • Birthdate
    • Student ID number, also known as matriculation number (Matrikelnummer)

    Please note that we can only lift the blocking of your ID if no new card was produced yet.

    Updated: 15. March 2021

    I am exmatriculated, but still have money on my chip card. What can I do?

    The Studentenwerk can transfer the remaining credit balance to your account. Please send an email to Please include your name, date of birth, student number and the number for your chip card. You will find the chip card number, which begins with 0007, on the back of your student card. Please also include your bank account details. If it is not your account, please mention this in the email and include the name of the account holder.

    Updated: 14. January 2020

  • 2G/3G rule at the University

    For teaching courses of any kind as well as all other University events, the 3G rule is no longer mandatory.

  • liability

    What liability aspects need to be considered in connection with operation of the University during the corona pandemic?

    There are no special provisions regarding the liability of employees and the University or Foundation. The usual University liability framework also applies in the context of the resumption of the in-presence operation. In this respect, the principle remains that employees of the University are only liable in the event of gross negligence or wilful breach of duty within the scope of their official duties.

    The specifications contained in the catalogue of measures concretise the duties of care which are necessary in the context of the current situation to protect against corona infection and which are expected of employees. If these are observed, it can be assumed that the employees are not liable in this respect.

    #8 30.03.2022

  • staff development

    Are staff development courses taking place in person again?

    A large proportion of the courses are taking place online. Some events are already being held in person with appropriate health and hygiene measures.

    You’ll find out what’s on offer by taking a look at the Qualifizierungsportal. The courses are marked ONLINE if that is the case.

    You can stay up-to-date by signing up for the Newsletter der Personalentwicklung or checking out HR and Organisation Development’s website.

    How do I register for staff development courses?

    Currently the HR Development Section does not require a completed registration form. It is sufficient to send an email to Please put your supervisor in cc and send us the following details:

    • Course title
    • Date of the course
    • Last name, first name
    • Institution / Institute
    • Phone or email

    You will receive a response from the HR Development Section as soon as possible.

    For further information click here.

    Can I participate in face-to-face seminars outside Göttingen?

    In principle, it is possible to participate in face-to-face seminars once more. This would come under the category of a business trip and the rules can be found under “Business travel” in the University’s Coronavirus A-Z.

    #5, 25.03.2022

  • Campus Covid Screen

    The CAMPUS COVID SCREEN project offers students and staff of the University the option of regular, voluntary testing for SARS-CoV-2 infection.

    It is also available free of charge to all students and employees after prior registration (see below).
    Further information:

    More information:

    Information about the results and findings reports from the CCS

  • Quarantine on return from travelling

    English translation provided for informational purposes.  If the English and German versions allow different interpretations, the German version should be followed.

    Quarantine requirements according to Germany’s entry regulations during the coronavirus apply to all staff returning from abroad

    The most important points are:

    • Risk areas: there are two categories as listed by the Robert Koch Institute: high-risk areas and areas of variants of concern (also known as virus variant areas). The category of just “risk” area is being dropped. It should be noted that reclassification of an area – whether high-risk or variant of concern – can take place while you are travelling. The crucial factor for whether or not you must quarantine, is the date of your return to Germany and not the fact that you travelled to a “non-risk area” on the date that you left.
    • Verification requirements: everyone entering the country – irrespective of whether or not they stayed in a high-risk area or virus variant area – is obliged to have proof of vaccination, or a negative SARS-CoV-2 coronavirus test, or proof of recovery at the point of entry.
    • Quarantine after entry: the legal quarantine requirements must be observed. Depending on the categorisation of the area/s where you have travelled, vaccination certificates or proof of recovery can replace the requirement to provide a negative test certificate and mean you are not required to quarantine.
    • Areas of variants of concern: if you are entering the country after staying in an area of variants of concern, you must obtain and show a negative coronavirus test at the point of entry in all cases.

    The following government webpages give an overview of the most important issues:

    The Federal Government:

    The German Ministry of Health:  

    Niedersachsen (only available in German)

    When you return from abroad and before you resume your work in the office, please agree with your manager how you will return to work, taking into consideration the up-to-date guidelines and conditions for protecting against coronavirus in the workplace. Due to the particular nature of the current risk of infection, managers are authorised to ask employees whether they have been abroad for a longer period of time and also when.

    I. Area already classified as a “high-risk area” or “area of variant of concern” at time of departure (personal travel).

    In the case of travel warnings, the consequences resulting from personal travel abroad (eg the requirement to quarantine) are the sole responsibility of individual staff members.

    In the event that quarantine is required after returning from abroad, remuneration/salary will only be paid for the proportion of your work that can be completed when working from home. If you are unable to carry out your duties form home, the entitlement to continued payment of wages for the period of the stipulated quarantine shall lapse. There is also no entitlement to state compensation according to § 56 Infektionsschutzgesetz (infection protection law) for loss of earnings due to the quarantine.

    Alternatively, the period of quarantine must be covered by annual leave or another type of leave, eg by using up overtime that has already been accumulated by the member of staff or by unpaid special leave.

    Absence from duty as unpaid leave must be reported to the HR Department via the supervisor using the form “Corona – Mitteilung Abwesenheit und Freistellung” (coronavirus – Notification of Absence and Leave of Absence) at the Formular Center on the Mitarbeiter Portal.

    II. Classified as a “high-risk area” or “areas of variants of concern” during the holiday or on return.

    For those returning from areas that were only declared a risk area during their leave, the normal testing and quarantine requirements apply upon return. However, if the destination was not yet a risk area when the leave started, the employee cannot be held at fault for travelling to such an area. In the event of illness, they will receive continued payment of remuneration in accordance with the standard rules or, if the conditions are met, compensation for loss of remuneration during the quarantine period in accordance with the provisions of the Infektionsschutzgesetz (infection protection law)

    (see also information about: quarantine, infection (suspected or diagnosed, symptoms of illness).

    III. Business trips

    The requirements of Germany’s entry regulations also apply to travel to Germany after business trips abroad.

    #5 23.03.2022

  • 3G in the workplace

    (English translation provided for informational purposes. If the English and German versions allow different interpretations, the German version should be followed).

    Zum 19.03.2022 ist § 28 b des Infektionsschutzgesetzes ausgelaufen. Damit entfällt ab dem 20.3.2022 sowohl die Homeofficepflicht als auch die Nachweispflicht des 3G-Status. Die Universität ist daher seit dem 20.3.2022 nicht mehr berechtigt, den Impfstatus der Mitarbeiter*innen abzufragen und zu dokumentieren. Ebenfalls sind keine zwingenden Selbsttests mehr vorgehen.

    Die bis zum 19.3.2022 geführten Listen (digital oder analog) sind umgehend datenschutzkonform zu vernichten!

    An der Universität gelten weiterhin allgemeine Hygieneregeln, die in der FAQ-Liste unter der Rubrik „Allgemeine Hygieneregeln (Hygienekonzept)“ zu finden sind.

    #5 25.03.2022

  • Law regarding fixed-term employment contracts for researchers (Wissenschaftszeitvertragsgesetz)

    The HR Department has prepared an information sheet with all the important information on the amendment of the law regarding fixed-term employment contracts for researchers. The changes were published in the Federal Law Gazette on 28 May 2020 and thus came into force.

    You can download it from the following link:

    According to Section 7 (3) WissZeitVG, the Federal Ministry of Education and Research (BMBF) was authorised to extend the permitted time limit by a maximum of six months, if this appears necessary due to the continuing effects of the COVID-19 pandemic in the Federal Republic of Germany, by means of a statutory ordinance with the approval of the Bundesrat (Federal Council). The BMBF made use of this authorisation and the Bundesrat approved the WissZeitVG-Befristungsdauer-Verlängerungs-Verordnung (the regulation regarding extending the limit on the period of time or WissBDVV) ( in its meeting on 18 September 2020. The regulation therefore came into force on 1 October 2020.

    On the basis of this regulation, the total permitted time limit for employment contracts in accordance with Section 2 (1) WissZeitVG can be extended by a further six months beyond the extension made in Section 7 (3) sentence 1 WissZeitVG. The extension applies to the employment contracts already recorded in accordance with Section 7 (3) sentence 1 WissZeitVG, which exist or have existed at a point in time between 1 March 2020 and 30 September 2020. If employment is established between 1 October 2020 and 31 March 2021 (in accordance with Section 2, Paragraph 1 of the Wissenschaftszeitvertragsgesetzes or WissZeitVG), the total time limit permitted in accordance with Section 2, Paragraph 1, Clauses 1 and 2 is extended by six months.

    If you have any further questions, please contact the HR Department directly.

    #5 02.10.2020

  • excursions & practical training

    For excursions, practical training, work in the field etc, the regulations for each country as well as the University’s rules apply. For excursions, please also follow the regulations for business trips.


  • Increased Standard Period of Study

    Lower Saxony extends standard period of study by another semester

    In view of the ongoing coronavirus pandemic, Lower Saxony has decided to increase the individual standard period of study by another semester. All students who were enrolled for four semesters in the period from summer semester 2020 to winter semester 2021/2022 and were not on leave of absence will receive an extension of their individual standard period of study by four semesters. Students who have only been enrolled for one semester during this period and have not been granted leave of absence will have their individual standard period of study extended by one semester etc..

    If you have already been credited with corresponding semesters in other states in Germany, this regulation does not apply. The extension of the individual standard period of study also increases the study credit (§ 12 NHG), but only if it was not used up before or at the end of the summer semester 2019.

    What do I have to do now as a student?

    If the regulations apply to you, the semester credit will now be credited to you automatically. You do not have to do anything else. Students who have paid long-term tuition fees for the first time in the period from summer semester 2020 to winter semester 2022 will automatically receive a refund of the overpayment as soon as this regulation is implemented, as these fees are now no longer applicable due to the new regulations. An application for reimbursement is not required for this.

    How do I obtain a certificate?

    The extension by one or two or three semesters is indicated on the Immatrikulationsbescheinigung (certificate of enrolment), the Studienzeitbescheinigung (confirmation of periods of study) and the BAföG-Bescheinigung (certificate for §9 BAföG) available at eCampus.

    22. February 2022

  • Quarantine, infection (suspected or diagnosed), symptoms of illness for staff

    English translation provided for informational purposes.  If the English and German versions allow different interpretations, the German version should be followed.

    Link: Information about the results and findings reports from the CCS

    See also Rules for those with an infection and their contacts

    English translation provided for informational purposes.  If the English and German versions allow different interpretations, the German version should be followed.

    Guide to dealing with quarantine, symptoms of illness and coronavirus-related, short-term loss of childcare

    A) Quarantine and symptoms of illness

    I. Staff who are personally affected

    1. Staff with confirmed diagnosis due to a positive PCR test

    a) With symptoms

    What happens next?

    The doctor issues an Arbeitsfähigkeitbescheinigung (sick certificate). There is a requirement to self-isolate.

    Do I get salary/remuneration?

    Continued payment of salary according to § 22 TV-L as per Entgeltfortzahlungsgesetz (continued remuneration law) for 6 weeks, plus sickness allowance (employees), or salary payment (those with Beamte or civil servant status) according to § 67 NBG, or continued remuneration according to continued remuneration law for 6 weeks (those with Hilftskräfte status).

    What do I have to do?

    The sick note (including the form „Mitteilung einer Dienst- bzw. Arbeitsunfähigkeit“, which is a notification of incapacity to work) must be sent to the HR Department. The manager must be informed. Please follow the instructions on this page:

    If the required quarantine exceeds the duration of the sick leave, please also send the form “Abwesenheit im Zusammenhang mit Corona” (absence in connection with the coronavirus) to the HR Department.

    b) Without symptoms

    What happens next?

    No AU-Bescheinigung (sick certificate) will be issued. As per Lower Saxony’s Absonderungsverordnung (regulations for isolation), there is an obligation to self-isolate immediately. You can find more information here:

    Do I get salary/remuneration?

    In principle, there is continued remuneration (Entgeltfortzahlung) according to § 56 Abs. 1 Infektionsschutzgesetz (infection protection law) for 6 weeks (for those employed and those with Hilfskräfte status) or payment in accordance with § 67 NBG (Beamte status). However, the legislator can issue exemptions in connection with vaccination status. The up-to-date regulations apply.

    What do I have to do?
    The manager must be informed. The Mitteilung über eine Abwesenheit im Zusammenhang mit dem Corona-Virus” (the form for absence related to coronavirus) should be sent to the HR Department.

    2. Staff with symptoms of illness without a confirmed COVID-19 infection diagnosis

    a) general symptoms of illness

    In the case of general, nonspecific and individually occurring symptoms of illness separate from the specific symptoms listed below at (b), staff may turn up at the office for work.

    However, due to the current situation, it is recommended to contact a doctor and have the symptoms checked.

    b) specific symptoms of disease

    If suffering from the symptoms listed here, there is a ban on entering the buildings of the University of Göttingen in accordance with the General Health and Hygiene Regulations (HYGIENEKONZEPT); from 21.10.2020 (official notification I of the University of Göttingen dated 23.10.2020/No. 61): unexplained cold symptoms, especially with fever, sore throat, cough and/or odour/taste disturbances.

    What next?
    Please stay at home and contact a doctor.

    You will receive a salary or remuneration for the period of incapacity from work according to the regulations that apply to you. The relevant sick certificate must be submitted to the HR department.

    If you subsequently test positive for Covid19, the guidelines above apply.

    If a Covid19 test is deemed not necessary or if it is negative, you can return to work as soon as you are feeling better. A separate certificate is not required.

    3. Staff without symptoms of illness but waiting for their own test result, including after a positive result from a rapid test or self-test.

    a) Without a positive rapid or self- or CCS test

    • Those who are to be classified as contacts according to § 1 No. 45 of Lower Saxony’s Absonderungsverordnung (regulations for isolation) and are waiting for a PCR test result due to this.
    • Persons who are waiting for a test result due to a private trip from a high-risk and/or virus variant area according to § 56 para. 1 sentence 4 of the Infektionsschutzgesetz infection protection law and according to the regulations which cover entering a country.

    According to the Infektionsschutzgesetz (infection protection law), you are neither unfit for work nor in quarantine.

    For the protection of colleagues, the Presidential Board has agreed the following rules:

    • Please inform your manager immediately and also the HR Department with the appropriate documentation (which can be submitted later if necessary).
    • Reduce the number of contacts you have both at work and outside work
    • After consulting your manager, increase the amount of work you do at home, as far as this is possible
    • If your work duties cannot be carried out at home, reduce contact with colleagues, wear a medical facemask or an FFP2 mask and observe the appropriate distancing regulations at all times.

    b) After a positive rapid test, self-test or CCS test.

    • You must immediately go into quarantine (according to Lower Saxony’s Absonderungsverordnung). For further information, please see:
    • You are not considered sick, but should be in quarantine.
    • You will receive compensation according to the Infektionsschutzgeset during this time.
    • Your manager must be informed immediately of the absence.
    • You are obliged to have a PCR test done.
    • As soon as the result of the PCR test is known, it must be reported to the Human Resources Department using the form “Corona – Meldung einer Abwesenheit“ (notification of absence due to coronavirus).

    II. Contact person of staff member diagnosed with infection

    1. Contact person diagnosed with infection

    The state of Lower Saxony has decided to discontinue the payment of compensation in the event of quarantine for those who have neither been vaccinated nor recovered as per Section 56 (1) of the Infektionsschutzgesetz (infection protection law). For this reason, the Presidential Board advises:

    • Inform your manager immediately. Your manager will decide to what extent you can do your work from home.
    • If you are able to do (almost) all of your work from home, no notification to the HR Department is required. You will continue to receive remuneration/salary.
    • If you cannot or can only partially carry out your work from home, please send the form “Corona-Abwesenheit” to the HR Department. Payment of remuneration will cease on the day of quarantine. You will continue to be covered by social security for a maximum of 4 weeks. Please inform your payroll department immediately about the end of the quarantine period and salary payments will be resumed immediately.
    • Salary payments will not be suspended if proof is presented that vaccination cannot take place for medical reasons.
    • Those with Beamte or civil servant status shall immediately report to the HR Department for clarification of salary-related issues.

    2. Contact has symptoms of illness but no test

    If staff members have come into contact or are in long-term contact with people who show symptoms of illness, as a rule, they are not prohibited from entering the premises.

    3. Contact person without symptoms and waiting for test result

    If the following applies: employee lives in a household with someone waiting for a Covid19 test result or has had close contact with a person waiting for a test result:

    For the protection of colleagues, the Presidential Board has agreed the following policy:

    • Please inform your manager immediately and also the HR Department with the appropriate documentation (which can be submitted later if necessary).
    • Reduce the number of contacts you have both at work and outside work
    • After consulting your manager, increase the amount of work you do at home, as far as this is possible
    • If your work duties cannot be carried out at home, reduce contact with colleagues, wear a medical facemask or an FFP2 mask and observe the appropriate distancing regulations at all times.

    4. Corona-Warn-App
    If the Corona-Warn App tells you that you have had contact with a person carrying the infection, this alone is no reason to stay away from work. Please report to the (Gesundheitsamt) public health department and follow their advice.

    B) Lack of childcare

    I. Closure of the childcare facility or ban on entering the facility

    Note: a ban on entering an educational institution happens, for example, if the child is sent into quarantine by the health authority due to contact with a person carrying the infection but is not required to get tested.

    A leave of absence totalling a maximum of 10 working days (based on a 5-day week) may be granted if you are unable to carry out your work duties under the following conditions:

    • Your child has not yet reached the age of twelve or your child is in need of care


    • you cannot provide the necessary care in any other way.

    If your standard working time differs from five working days, the proportion is increased or reduced accordingly. The days do not necessarily have to be taken in a block; it is also possible and sometimes makes sense to grant them on a daily basis. In order to obtain time off to care for your child, please fill in the form for absence in connection with coronavirus “Corona – Mitteilung Abwesenheit und Freistellung” (coronavirus – Notification of Absence and Leave of Absence) at the Formular Center on the Mitarbeiter Portal.

    If days off have been used up, those who are statutorily insured are entitled to sick pay until 19 March 2022, in accordance with Section 45 (2a) of the SGB (German Social Code), Book V, in the following cases:

    – a temporary closure of childcare facilities, schools, or facilities for people with disabilities in order to prevent the spread of infections; or

    – if entry to the aforementioned facilities is prohibited due to quarantine, or

    – If, for reasons of infection control, school or facility leave days are ordered or extended by the appropriate authority, compulsory attendance at a school is suspended, access to childcare is restricted, or the child does not attend the facility due to an official recommendation.

    Please notify the HR Department about the use of leave of absence while receiving sick leave benefits using the „Mitteilung über eine Abwesenheit im Zusammenhang mit dem Corona-Virus“ form.

    If the options above have all been exhausted, then any accumulated overtime or annual leave should be taken as a priority or, if necessary, part-time leave should be applied for.

    Time off and compensation according to the Infektionsschutzgesetz (infection protection law, or IFSG): there is the option of leave without pay according to the IFSG. The prerequisite for the claim for compensation is that you suffer a loss of earnings due to the fact that, as a result of the closure of a day-care centre, a school or a facility for people with disabilities due to the coronavirus, or due to a ban on entering one of these facilities, you have to look after, supervise or care for your child(ren) in need of care, supervision or nursing yourself, because you cannot ensure any other reasonable care possibility and therefore cannot pursue your gainful employment. In this case, you will receive compensation from the state for the care of children outside the school holidays up to the age of 12 (exceptions apply to children in need of assistance with a disability) and for a maximum of 10 weeks per claimant or 20 weeks for single parents an amount of 67% of the loss of earnings, up to a maximum of €2016 per month (§ 56 IFSG). This compensation is paid by the employer/University and you keep your current social security status.

    For children who have reached the age of 12, neither a paid leave of absence nor a benefit according to SBG or IFSG can be claimed.

    For those with Beamte status, the entitlement to time off is according to the Nds. special leave regulation.

    II. Restrictions of current care services (eg no after-school care due to the coronavirus)

    In these cases, there is no option of paid leave, neither by law nor by another agreement. However, the Presidential Board has agreed with the Personalrat (staff council) to continue to use working from home as an option in these cases, provided that the prerequisites (for instance technical requirements) are met. In any case, working from home must be discussed with the manager. A certificate from the care facility must be submitted.

    #6 Updated Jan/Feb 2022

  • Vaccination

    Information about vaccinations:

    Please note: as before, the time taken to get vaccinated does not count towards any member of staff’s total worktime. This also applies if the vaccination takes place during the time when normal duties are usually carried out and also if the Betriebsärztliche Dienst (occupational health service) carries out the vaccination on the University Campus.

    #5 18.12.2021

  • childcare

    (English translation provided for informational purposes. If the English and German versions allow different interpretations, the German version should be followed).

    HR law considerations in the absence of childcare

    I. Closure of the childcare facility or ban on entering the facility

    Note: a ban on entering an educational facility is in place, for example, if the child has been sent into quarantine by the Gesundheitsamt (health department) due to contact with a person carrying the infection at nursery or school and where this is no requirement to undergo testing.

    The following applies to employees/student trainees (Auszubildende)/student assistants (Hilfskräfte):

    In summary, employees/trainees/assistants are eligible for the following leaves of absence to care for young children:

    a) Paid time off within the framework of the University’s own internal 10-day rule.

    • A leave of absence totalling a maximum of 10 working days (based on a 5-day week) may be granted if you are unable to carry out your work duties under the following conditions:
      • Your child has not yet reached the age of twelve or your child is in need of care
      • You are unable to provide the necessary care in any other way.

    If your standard worktime differs from five working days, the proportion is increased or decreased accordingly. The days do not necessarily have to be taken in a block. It is also possible and sensible to grant them on a daily basis.

    b) For those with statutory insurance: unpaid leave of absence according to § 45 para. 2a SGB V. (known in German as Kind-krank-Tage)

    • The entitlement is for a total of 30 working days, for single parents up to 60 days per child. If there are several children, each parent is entitled to a maximum of 65 working days, and single parents to a maximum of 130 working days.
    • You will receive a payment called Kinderkrankengeld from the health insurance fund (Krankenkasse).
    • The entitlement only exists if no other person living in the household can supervise, care for or nurse the child and the child must be supervised or cared for due to the pandemic.

    c) For those with private insurance and after exhaustion of child sick days according to § 45 para. 2a SGB V: unpaid leave of absence according to § 56 para. 1a Infektionsschutzgesetz (infection protection act)

    • Compensation is paid in accordance with Infektionsschutzgesetz (infection protection act) up to a maximum of 67% of the net amount.
    • Entitlement exists only if no other person living in the household can supervise, care for or nurse the child and the child must be supervised or cared for due to the pandemic.
    • Entitlement to compensation for periods outside school vacations for a maximum of 10 weeks per eligible person or 20 weeks for single parents.
    • This compensation is paid by the employer university and you maintain your current social security status.

    Once these days are used up, consideration should be given to taking time off in lieu of extra worked hours, or annual leave or, if necessary, applying for part-time work.

    For children who have reached the age of 12, neither paid leave of absence nor a benefit according to the SGB or IFSG can be claimed.

    The following applies to those with Beamte status:

    • As per § 9 of the Lower Saxony Sonderurlaubsverordnung (exceptional leave regulation – Nds. SUrlVO), Beamte may be granted leave with continued payment for important personal reasons in urgent cases of up to three working days per leave year. In addition, special leave with continued payment of remuneration may be granted in individual cases in accordance with Section 11 of Nds SUrlVO, even if the Beamte has to ensure the care of his or her young child due to the closure of a daycare centre or school, other care is not guaranteed and other measures, such as working from home, are neither feasible nor appropriate.
    • In addition, the state government has recently released the planned amendment to the Lower Saxony Sonderurlaubsverordnung for association participation. The entitlement of Beamte in Lower Saxony to exceptional leave is to be increased temporarily for the years 2020 and 2021 to ensure the supervision, care and nursing of a seriously ill child and the care of a relative in need of care. The intended temporary increase in special leave days is intended to enable the care, supervision or nursing of a sick child during the COVID 19 pandemic. Lower Saxony thus follows the regulations of the federal government and other German states. The entitlement to exceptional leave with continued payment for Beamte in Lower Saxony is to be increased by five days per leave year if a child falls ill, and by nine days per leave year if an acute care situation arises. However, a corresponding medical certificate is required.

    To obtain a leave of absence to care for your child – irrespective of the legal basis – please fill out the form “Corona – Notification of Absence and Leave of Absence” ( and send it, also by email if you wish, to your HR administrator.

    II. Restrictions to the actual agreed care service (eg cancellation of afternoon care due to the coronavirus)

    However, the Presidential Board has agreed with the Personalrat (staff council) that working from home can be an option in these cases, provided the conditions (workstation, technical requirements) are met. In any case, working from home should be discussed with the manager. If possible, please provide a certificate from the childcare facility.

    #CD #5 02.12.2021

  • Teaching

    Virtual Learning

    Updated: 31 July 2020

    For tips on usage of the various digital learning tools, see

  • discrimination, dealing with

    Anyone affected by discrimination, as well as observers, counsellors and all other interested parties can find answers to their questions on the following webpage: Guide: Dealing with discrimination at the University of Göttingen, for instance:

    • What is discrimination and how do I recognise it?
    • What can I do?

    #CD 03 September 2021

  • advice & counselling

    In addition to University administration as well as the central information The pandemic presents us all with major challenges. If things are not working out so well for you, our broad network of advice centres is available to you. In case of need , the following offices can be particularly helpful:

    Thematic overview pages

    #ÖA 25.11.2020

  • Business travel

    (English translation provided for informational purposes. If the English and German versions allow different interpretations, the German version should be followed).

    Managers as well as those travelling on business themselves have specific responsibilities when considering business trips. Each individual case should be considered to see how urgent the need for a planned business trip is and if there are online alternatives. Even a business trip that has already been approved should therefore be checked in the light of the current infection situation before the trip begins and, if necessary, the approval should be withdrawn.

    Managers and business travellers can obtain information about the current coronavirus infection rate, as well as assessments of the risk at any time via the RKI website and the website of the Auswärtigen Amt (Federal Foreign Office).

    Please also refer to the regulations of the COVID-19 3-level system (STUFENPLAN).

    Travel for work – within Germany

    Currently, business trips within Germany are possible again (as per levels 1 and 2 of the CoVID-19 3-level system). Please consider the restrictions for business trips according to level 2. It is the responsibility of the managers and the employees themselves to check the necessity of a business trip and to only carry out business trips that are absolutely necessary and/or cannot be postponed.

    If the University is in level 3 of the COVID-19 3-level system, no business trips – regardless of whether in Germany or abroad – should be carried out. Should a business trip be urgently necessary in individual and exceptional cases (in particular for maintenance and care of animals and/or research work that cannot be postponed, such as seasonal fieldwork), this is only possible with exceptional approval. The faculties or the heads of the institutions are responsible for granting exceptional permission for business trips within Germany. The faculties are responsible for organising the decision-making process themselves; delegation to the heads of institutes/departments is possible.

    Travel for work – abroad

    All business travel abroad remains subject to approval.

    If the University is at level 1 or 2 of the COVID-19 colour-coded system, the dean of the respective faculty or the head of a central institution can issue approval for international business trips from 30 August 2021. Delegation to the faculty advisor or managing director is possible.

    Business trips abroad are only permitted subject to the following restrictions and requirements:

    Business trips should be avoided as far as possible in view of the continuing pandemic situation and in order to protect staff from risks to their health. Where possible, an online alternative to the business trip should be found.

    Those trips that are absolutely necessary can be approved only if it can be clearly demonstrated that there is no other option in this particular case. In view of the risk of possible infection during a business trip, the case must be carefully examined and, where necessary, justified. When considering whether a trip is absolutely necessary, supervisors must be completely satisfied that the case meets the strictest criteria for being both compelling and unavoidable. A risk assessment must be attached to the business trip case. This risk assessment should take into account the recommendations of the Foreign Office and the Robert Koch Institute (RKI), and should include the vaccination status of the official traveller as well as the possible requirement for quarantine and the associated costs to the faculty/institution.

    If the University is at level 3, travel abroad for business is not possible. Special exceptions would still be considered by the Krisenstab via the Central Travel Cost Center on a case-by-case basis and as exceptions to the ban on travel for work.

    The required approval to undertake business travel in exceptional circumstances must be sent in good time, at least two weeks before the start of the trip, by sending the form (available from the Mitarbeiterportal InfoCenter/Personalabteilung/Reisekosten) in an email via the Central Travel Cost Centre ( or via the Lucom Platform (send to the Reisekostenstelle Zentral).  The application for an exemption to carry out business trips abroad, as per the University’s colour-coded system, requires the approval of the dean’s office or the management of the institution and this approval must be attached to the application.

    When returning from a trip, it is strongly recommended to get a coronavirus test before coming on Campus.

    As a rule, business trips in areas of variants of concern (according to the RKI), are prohibited.

    Even after an exemption has been granted, please note that it can be withdrawn at any time if the destination is reclassified as an area of variant of concern after the date of approval or or if changes to the entry and quarantine regulations contradict the purpose of the business trip or make the trip uneconomical. Travel expenses already incurred at this point in time, as well as cancellation costs, will be reimbursed.

    Travel and safety guidelines, and special entry and return requirements

    Since some countries have imposed entry bans or particular controls on certain groups of people or flights from certain regions, all business travellers must obtain information from the Germany-based embassy or consulate for their destination (see the German Federal Foreign Office) before starting their journey. All travel and security instructions must be observed. Changes to the entry and quarantine regulations are sometimes made without any prior notice and with immediate effect. It is therefore the duty of business travellers to continuously monitor the situation and obtain information (State of Lower Saxony).

    Please also note the University information on “Quarantine, infection, symptoms of illness” and “Quarantine on return from travelling”.

    Hygiene and distancing measures

    We appeal to all staff to observe the hygiene and distancing rules to minimise the risk of infection and for their own health and safety on business trips in addition, of course, to other times. For this reason, arrival and departure and activities on site must always be carried out in accordance with up-to-date appropriate hygiene and distancing regulations and occupational health and safety standards. When using the railway, the appropriate regulations of Deutsche Bahn must also be observed. 

    Means of transport

    In principle, the use of all usual means of transport is permitted again and reimbursable within the scope of Lower Saxony’s team regulations (NRKVO). Reimbursement for use of a private vehicle is based on the provisions of Lower Saxony’s travel cost regulations (NRKVO). Reimbursement for the use of a private vehicle is based on the provisions of § 5 NRKVO.

    The maximum number of people in company vehicles or in hired vehicles during the coronavirus pandemic is 50% of the permitted number of seats.  In the case of odd numbers, the number may be rounded up to the next figure. If the minimum distance cannot be maintained, face masks (Mund-Nasen-Bedeckung or MNB) must be worn. Bearing in mind the University’s duty of care, the obligation to wear a face mask also applies to the driver of any official vehicle provided by the University. For longer journeys, even if the minimum distance is maintained, a break must be taken after 60 minutes and the car must be ventilated. Avoid loud conversations or singing (aerosol-generating behaviour) while driving. The operating instructions during the coronavirus pandemic issued by the Safety/Environment Section for service vehicles must be observed.

    Taking students along on business trips under the conditions of the allowable cases (as above) is allowed if the regulations on distancing can be maintained and the students’ presence is absolutely necessary. The same applies to sending students on trips in accordance with the travel cost guidelines for invited and students posted elsewhere.

    Travel costs for business trips that cannot take place

    Where expenses are incurred as a result of the cancellation of a business trip, a travel allowance shall be reimbursed at the rate of the costs incurred in making the necessary travel arrangements. However, please be aware that every opportunity should be taken immediately to keep the costs low and to cancel obligations already entered into as far as possible.


    If you have any questions, please contact the Central Travel Cost Centre or the Team Leader Yvonne Ermisch, on extension 24795 or by email to

    #6: update 27 August 2021

  • Infection (suspected or diagnosed), quarantine, symptoms of illness
  • ventilation
  • Students with children

    Information and tips for students with children can be found at Corona: information on Work-Life Balance

    The Facebook Group: “Studieren mit Kind an der Uni Göttingen” (Studying with children at Uni Göttingen) offers the opportunity to exchange ideas.

  • annual reviews

    In agreement with the Staff Council (Personalrat), the deadline for carrying out annual reviews in 2020 has been extended until 31 December 2020.

    Jahresgespräche (Annual reviews) must not be conducted via video conferencing, because undisturbed and confidential discussions cannot be guaranteed.

    #5 08.10.2020

  • risk groups

    People at higher risk of developing severe COVID-19 disease

    People who have an increased risk of developing severe Covid-19 should be offered the option of staying away from the workplace if the recommended occupational safety measures cannot be observed there. Particular attention should be paid here to maintaining a minimum distance of 1.5 m from other persons or, if this is not possible, wearing a mouth-nose cover for all persons involved. Office workplaces in an individual office, for example, do not pose a risk of infection; the care of small children in a day care centre would not be recommended for persons at risk.

    If managers can offer their employees (including student assistants) a secured workplace, there is no need for risk groups to stay away from the workplace. If you have any questions regarding the assessment of an employee’s illness and/or the design of a workplace that is as safe as possible, the company medical service offers advice for managers and employees.

    The medical certificate required under the previous regulations should be presented to assist the occupational health service in any case, but is now no longer sufficient in itself to obtain leave from work.

    #5 05.05.2020

  • Long-term tuition fees – Medical Certificates

    If you are exempted from long-term study fees due to disability, serious illness or hardship, you usually need an official medical certificate. Due to the pandemic-related workload of the public health authorities, it is possible until further notice to present a medical certificate from a specialist or family doctor as an alternative. The certificate issued by the public medical officer must specify the semesters in which the student’s ability to study was/is limited. Furthermore, the amount of the restriction on the ability to study must be stated (as a percentage). Further information can be found in the FAQ Long-term study fees.


  • mobile working
  • video conferencing
  • accessibility

    Where can I get information about accessibility in digital teaching?

    Accessible study programmes are without question connected with accessible teaching. For this reason, the Representative for Students with Disabilities and Chronic Illnesses has compiled information for teachers on how they can make their digital teaching more accessible to students with health impairments. The document (pdf) can be found at

    As part of the University of Göttingen’s participation in the Stifterverband’s Diversity-Audit “Vielfalt Gestalten” (designing diversity), the IT Department has developed handouts and checklists that provide you with information on how to create accessible teaching and learning materials.  These and other tips are available on the website of the Equal Opportunities and Diversity Unit at

  • equal opportunities
  • staying abroad

    I am employed by the University and I am currently on holiday / travelling in a private capacity abroad. A return flight is currently not possible. May I start my period of mobile working in my current location or do I have to extend my vacation?

    The University welcomes every effort by its employees to overcome the problems caused by the coronavirus crisis. When working abroad, however, there are arguments against mobile working due to certain aspects of social security law. Since you are not on a business trip abroad, you cannot simply resume work at your current location without constraints. In addition to the lack of technical or other requirements, the usual social insurance regulations still apply, even in this difficult period. In consultation with your manager, who will justify the necessity and the possibility of your activity in writing (by email to you), you could spend a maximum of 25% of your working time per month abroad doing mobile working. If you are unable to get a return flight to Germany after these days, please apply for annual leave (holiday), a leave of absence without pay or – if you are part of the system to record your working time – take time off in lieu.

  • emergency plan

    What is an emergency plan and what should it contain?

    In order to be prepared for possible scenarios, the University’s institutions have been asked to draw up emergency plans in case an infected person is identified in the surrounding area and/or the area or building has to be closed. The emergency plan should address the following questions:

    • What preventive measures can I take within the department / facility to minimize the risk of all employees being absent at the same time?
    • What tasks must be performed even if only a few employees are still available?
    • What tasks can no longer be performed if no or very few employees are available?
    • Will deadlines be met and must external agencies be informed that certain tasks cannot be completed at the moment?

  • occupational safety