Students date

  • Long-term tuition fees – Medical Certificates

    If you are exempted from long-term study fees due to disability, serious illness or hardship, you usually need an official medical certificate. Due to the pandemic-related workload of the public health authorities, it is possible until further notice to present a medical certificate from a specialist or family doctor as an alternative. The certificate issued by the public medical officer must specify the semesters in which the student's ability to study was/is limited. Furthermore, the amount of the restriction on the ability to study must be stated (as a percentage). Further information can be found in the FAQ Long-term study fees.


  • Events

    With the exception of the formats mentioned below, no events will take place at the University until further notice (initially until 30 September 2020).

    For other events that cannot be postponed, an exemption can be applied for from the crisis management team (Krisenstab) via the email, stating the time, place and group of participants. Please also state why the event has to take place at this time and in person and add information regarding the hygiene/distancing guidelines of the event. If external guests are planned for the event, please note our information on visitors.

    The following events can take place without special permission:

    • Events mentioned in the chapter "Teaching, Studying and Examinations" and "Research Operations" of the current "Regulations and measures for protection against infections" (version 2.1, updated 3 June 2020)
    • Committee meetings, including appeal presentations
    • Job interviews
    • Urgent internal meetings

    Please take care to minimize contact and infection at all events, keep the events and the number of participants to the absolute minimum, continue to use online variants (video conferences) as far as possible.

  • data security

    According to the current regulations of the state government regarding the restrictions to combat the coronavirus pandemic, the collection of personal data is required in certain cases. In particular, this concerns the conduct of exams which are attended in person and excursions, as well as other specific events that require attendance, in addition to visits from external people, e.g. visitors or suppliers, onto the premises of the University. The collection of data is based on Art. 6 Para. 1 UAbs. 1 lit. c) DSGVO (fulfilment of a legal obligation) and must be publicised to those concerned in advance by means of an information sheet in accordance with Art. 13 DSGVO. A model for this kind of information can be found on the homepages of the Data Protection Officer German/English).

    The purpose of this arrangement is to enable the relevant authorities to trace possible chains of infection in the event of an incident of infection. Please note that the collection of data by the University in these cases is exclusively for this purpose and that the corresponding documentation is only to be presented to the responsible public health department upon request. In this respect, the University is obliged to keep the data private and secure and to destroy it after one month at the latest.

    In order to increase data protection and data security, the details of the persons are to be collected on individual pieces of paper, which are kept for 4 weeks with a deletion date. Each piece of paper or, in the case of several pieces of paper, the bundle of pieces of paper regarding one day are to be kept in a sealed envelope, as the data are solely for the Health Authority. The corresponding deletion date must be marked on the envelope and, in the event that the Health Authority does not request the release of the data beforehand, the data must be destroyed securely - if possible with a cross-cut shredder or by professional disposal (e.g. REISSWOLF).

    #8 12 June 2020

  • Residence permit

    How can I currently extend my residence permit?

    Temporary residence permits of foreigners whose main residence is in the City or district of Göttingen are valid until 30 June 2020, even if they expire before that date. The same applies to “Duldungen” (temporary suspensions of deportation), residence permits, border crossing certificates, deadlines for departure for holders of 'Schengen visas' whether for business or personal travel, and for tourists whose residence permit expires during this period.

    These regulations apply to residence permits expiring between 23 March 2020 and 30 June 2020 inclusive.

    Further information: Amtsblatt der Stadt Göttingen (Ausgabe 11&24; in German).

    What do I do after this deadline?

    Updated: 26 March 2020 The application must be made within four weeks starting immediately from the date that the infection protection measures have been lifted, in accordance with the other general guidelines of the city of Göttingen that have been announced.


  • advice & councelling

    In addition to University administration as well as the central information mailbox, the following contact points, among others, are also available to answer your questions during these times

    Thematic overview pages

    #ÖA 26.05.2020

  • discrimination, dealing with

    Anyone affected by discrimination, as well as observers, counsellors and all other interested parties can find answers to their questions on the following webpage: Guide: Dealing with discrimination at the University of Göttingen, for instance:

    • What is discrimination and how do I recognise it?
    • What can I do?

    Students who have experienced or observed discrimination can use the online notification form to report discrimination (anonymously if necessary) or contact the service for Anti-Discrimination Counselling for Students directly.

    #CD 26 May 2020

  • advice & consulting
  • admission (international)

    Can I enrol even if I can't come to Göttingen to begin my studies?

    You can enrol for studies even if you cannot come to Göttingen at the beginning of the winter semester. You can then participate in online courses and also take examinations if these are held online. If you are staying in a non-European country in the meantime, you are not required to provide evidence of German health insurance for enrolment. This obligation only applies once you enter Germany. For additional information, please contact the Registrar’s Office ( or the International Student Office (

    I am coming from abroad and have received my admission letter to Göttingen. Can I defer my acceptance until the winter semester?

    The Niedersachsen Ministry of Science and Research is deciding on the extension of the admission to a subsequent semester. We will keep you informed here.

    Updated: 28 May 2020

  • Application for a Master degree programme

    IIs it possible to conduct my master’s application interview online?

    Updated: 27 April 2020

    The admissions regulations (ZZO) allow for the possibility of conducting selection interviews by online video or by telephone. For the selection procedures for the winter semester 2020/21, it is likely that the faculties will use these procedures as the rule and will refrain from holding selection interviews in person.

    Will the deadline of 31 March for the proof of the bachelor’s degree be extended for students that were conditionally admitted to the master’s programme?

    Updated: 26 March 2020

    This dealine has been extended by six months, until 30 September 2020

  • ZESS

    Will the ZESS courses (e.g. language courses) take place?

    Corona-Info of ZESS (In German)

  • selection process

    Is it possible to conduct the selection processes for master’s programmes online? Is the use of video conferencing tools permitted?

    All admissions regulations (ZZO) offer the possibility to conduct selection interviews via video or by telephone.

    #SL 26.03.2020

  • library opening


    #ÖA 08.05.2020

  • exchange students

    Who will inform the exchange students coming to Göttingen? Due to the suspension of teaching, they will not be able to comply with their Learning Agreement. If they leave Göttingen or do not come at all, they will be unable to comply with the terms of their agreement and may be personally required to repay the funds.

    The programme coordinators at GI will inform the faculties. There are no clear statements at this time from the EU Commission. The current crisis is considered a force majeure; however, the consequences for possible departures from standard procedures and guidelines for programme implementation remain, as yet, undefined. In any case, special flexibility in teaching and assessments for out-going exchange students, as well as the recognition of credits for returning students is desirable. Close communication between the Erasmus coordinators on site and at the partner universities is encouraged. The Göttingen International office is in direct contact with affected students and is offering ongoing assistance.


    I want to come to Göttingen as an exchange student. Whom can I speak to about this?

    Teaching was resumed on 20 April 2020, but in mainly digital form. A statement about a return to regular classroom teaching and about possibilities for international student exchange will be possible when the development of the pandemic is known, and the official guidelines are published. Under the current conditions, it is recommended that you first contact Göttingen International (the International Student Office of the University). If you have not yet submitted your application, please contact the exchange coordinator at your home university.

    26 April 2020

  • application - certificates

    I would like to apply to study in Göttingen for winter semester 2020/2021. Due to cancelled examination dates (secondary school diplomas, university examinations, language tests, study aptitude exams, etc.), I cannot submit the necessary evidence by the deadline. How should I proceed?

    For applications from Germans students or those with German study qualifications, the legal application deadline for undergraduate degree programmes with restricted admission ends on 15 July 2020. Application deadlines for international students and master‘s degree applications may differ and are usually earlier. The extent to which deadlines can or must be adjusted and how missing documents can be dealt with is currently under review. Information on this will be made available in due time at For master’s programmes, please also note the corresponding announcements by the faculties and information on individual programmes in the A – Z list at


  • accessibility

    Where can I get information about accessibility in digital teaching?

    Accessible study programmes are without question connected with accessible teaching. For this reason, the Representative for Students with Disabilities and Chronic Illnesses has compiled information for teachers on how they can make their digital teaching more accessible to students with health impairments. The document (pdf) can be found at

    As part of the University of Göttingen's participation in the Stifterverband's Diversity-Audit "Vielfalt Gestalten” (designing diversity), the IT Department has developed handouts and checklists that provide you with information on how to create accessible teaching and learning materials.  These and other tips are available on the website of the Equal Opportunities and Diversity Unit at

  • compatibility
  • summer term

    Even though the summer semester lectures were postponed to April 20, the end of the semester will not change. This means the last day for lectures is 17 July 2020.

  • library - SUB
  • mobile working
  • regulations and measures for protection against infection

    On 29 July, 2020, a revised document was published about the regulations and measures for protection against infection during these times of reduced presence operation at the University.

  • emergency aid fund

    for latest information (mostly in German): Studentenwerk Göttingen

  • regulations and decrees

    The current status according to state law can be found on the website of the state government at ( in German). In particular, the current „Niedersächsische Verordnung über infektionsschützende Maßnahmen gegen die Ausbreitung des Corona-Virus“ (Lower Saxony regulations on infection-protection measures against the spread of the corona virus) and the state government's phased plan „Neuer Alltag in Niedersachsen“ (New day-to-day life in Lower Saxony) are available for download in German.

    General rulings and information from the City of Göttingen can be accessed, in German, at You will also find the link to the current general rulings from the Amtsblatt (the Göttingen Official Gazette) (

    SARS-CoV-2 Oc­cu­pa­tio­nal Sa­fe­ty and He­alth Stan­dard (Federal Ministry of Labour and Social Affairs)

  • coronavirus - general information

    For general questions about protection against the virus and travel to the affected regions please see the following websites (in German):

    Or in English:

    The Bundeszentrale also offers a download of the most frequently asked questions about the novel coronavirus (in German):

  • risk groups

    People at higher risk of developing severe COVID-19 disease

    People who have an increased risk of developing severe Covid-19 should be offered the option of staying away from the workplace if the recommended occupational safety measures cannot be observed there. Particular attention should be paid here to maintaining a minimum distance of 1.5 m from other persons or, if this is not possible, wearing a mouth-nose cover for all persons involved. Office workplaces in an individual office, for example, do not pose a risk of infection; the care of small children in a day care centre would not be recommended for persons at risk.

    If managers can offer their employees a secure job, there is no need for risk groups to stay away from the workplace. If you have any questions regarding the assessment of an employee's illness and/or the design of a workplace that is as safe as possible, the company medical service offers advice for managers and employees.

    The medical certificate required under the previous regulations should be presented to assist the occupational health service in any case, but is now no longer sufficient in itself to obtain leave from work.

    #5 05.05.2020

  • dining facilities

    Are the dining facilities open?

    All dining facilities (Mensen und Caféterien) of the Studentenwerk are closed until June 8.
    Studentenwerk Gö

  • chip card (student ID)

    I would like to renew my student ID. Are the printers for renewing cards or the Chip Card Office available? Is there a replacement for the semester ticket?

    Updated: 27 April 2020

    For the validation of the chip card (student ID) for the summer semester 2020, the printer for renewing cards in the ZHG will be available again from Tuesday 28 April 2020, to be used in compliance with the current regulations for protection against infections. The printer is accessible via the ZHG entrance opposite the Oeconomicum on weekdays from 10:00 to 17:00. Users must keep a distance of 2.5m from all other people and must without fail wear a face mask to cover their nose and mouth. The printers to renew cards in the UMG and Physics libraries are also available again.

    The printer to renew cards at Wilhelmsplatz 4 is not yet available due to the current situation caused by the coronavirus pandemic. The Chip Card Office itself will also remain closed to the public.

    Please Note

    Please help to contain the novel coronavirus („Flatten the Curve“) by staying home and observing distance rules when you must go out for essential reasons. Although there is as of yet no official lockdown in Lower Saxony, you should use your semester ticket only when it is absolutely unavoidable.

    I am newly enrolled for the summer semester 2020. How do I get my account set up and my new chip card (student ID card)?

    Updated: 27 July 2020

    Student accounts for newly enrolled students

    Along with your student ID card, you will receive a student account, which you will use to access the IT services of the University (eCampus, campus computer login, wifi, student email, Stud.IP, etc). This account will also allow you to access important online-based teaching materials or courses and to stay informed about current events.

    If you have already created an applicant account in the application portal of the University of Göttingen, you can generate your student account online. You can use this existing account to set the password (this will work ONE TIME ONLY) for your regular student account at You can also take a photo of yourself for your student ID in this portal (using either a mobile phone camera or a computer webcam), which will be used later to create your chip card.

    If you have not created an applicant account and therefore cannot follow the above process, please apply not only for the student card as described below, but also for a student account by sending an email to This account will be created by card processing and the details sent to you via email. At the same time your student ID will be sent to you by post.

    Student ID (chip card) for newly enrolled students

    Identification cards for first-year students cannot be issued at the chip card office in the ZHG at this time, but instead must be produced in the back office and sent by post. Please send an email to with a photo of yourself, as described in detail below. Please be sure to include the following information in your email:

    • First and last name, as stated on your official identity card (or passport)
    • Birthdate
    • student ID number, also known as matriculation number (Matrikelnummer)
    • Home mailing address, where the ID card can be sent securely
    • A digital portrait photo (3:4 portrait format, colour JPG, smaller than 1 MB, if possible, and with a monochromatic background, if possible).

    The ID will be created after the email is sent and mailed by post to the address provided. Please note that this process may take some time, due to the increased demand and the current situation.

    Please Note

    Please consider carefully whether you actually need the student ID card at this time, or whether you can wait until the University “re-opens”. This may be the case for you, if you were able to set up your student account without a student ID.

    I have lost or damaged my chip card. How do I get a replacement?

    Updated: 30 March 2020

    Please consider carefully whether you really need your student ID before the University “re-opens”.

    If you need a replacement student ID card for urgent reasons, please make sure to update your contact details and address(es) in the self-service portal in eCampus.

    Please transfer eight euros to the following bank account, including your first and last name, and matriculation number, along with the keyword „Ersatzkarte“ (replacement card) in the transaction note:

    Recipient: Georg-August-Universität Göttingen

    Financial Institution: Nord/LB Hannover

    IBAN: DE 57 2505 0000 0199 9537 04


    Then send an email from your student email account (other sources will not be considered for security reasons) Please include a photo of yourself, as described below, and be sure to include the following information:

    • First and last name, as stated on your official identity card (such as your passport)
    • Birthdate
    • student ID number, also known as matriculation number (Matrikelnummer)
    • Home mailing address, where the ID card can be sent securely
    • A digital portrait photo (3:4 portrait format, colour JPG, smaller than 1 MB, if possible, and with a monochromatic background, if possible).

    After receipt of your email and verification of your data, the replacement card will be sent to the address provided. Please understand that this may take some time, due to increased demand.

    I am exmatriculated, but still have money on my chip card. What can I do?

    Updated: 3 April 2020

    In order to get the remaining balance paid out, proceed as follows: Send an e-mail to In it, please state your name, date of birth, matriculation number and the number of your chip card. You will find the chip card number on the back of your student ID, it begins with 0007. Please also indicate your bank account details. If it is not your account, please mention this in the e-mail and give the name of the account holder.

  • study guidance and councelling

    Is guidance and counselling by video conference possible?

    Yes, if all parties involved agree to it. The services of the GWDG should be used preferentially, e.g. BigBlueButton

    27. April 2020

  • visitors, staff and students from abroad (incomings)

    Receiving scientific visitors from abroad is currently again possible.

    Please refer to

    Regeln und Verfahrensweisen für die Aufnahme von Personen an der Universität Göttingen 1.0 (PDF, 23. Juli 2020)

    for further details (translation will follow shortly)

    #ÖA 30.07.2020

  • infection protection

    How can I protect myself from infection?

    As with influenza and other acute respiratory tract infections, following standard guidelines for coughing and sneezing, good hand hygiene and keeping a distance from anyone who is infectious (at least 1.5 metres) also protects against transmission of the new coronavirus. Shaking hands should be avoided. Please note this advice from our occupational health service: If you want to protect yourself against infection from corona viruses via hand-contact, thorough hand-washing is completely sufficient. The use of hand-sanitizers is not necessary. Since disinfectants and personal protective equipment - which are urgently needed in the care of sick people - are now in short supply worldwide, we strongly urge you not to use them inappropriately and unnecessarily. Hospitals and medical services urgently need these scarce resources to protect the people they have to care for and treat. At present, numerous tips and advice can be found in the media and on the Internet. How can you figure out which are the most useful ones? Our corporate health service recommends the Internet pages (only currently available in German) of the Robert Koch Institute and of the Bundeszentrale für gesundheitliche Aufklärung. In addition, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the World Health Organization (WHO) both have websites which contains many tips in English, including:

    • wash your hands properly and frequently
    • maintain social distancing
    • avoid touching your eyes, nose, mouth
    • maintain good hygiene when coughing or sneezing
    • if you have fever, cough or difficulty breathing, seek medical advice early
    • Stay informed and follow advice from your healthcare provider

    As this webpage has become so busy in the last few days, we have made the most important graphics available for local download: