Students A-Z

  • 3G rule at the University

    The Presidential Board has agreed the following regulations to ensure that the coming winter semester runs as safely as possible:

    1) For courses of any kind, the 3G rule will be mandatory for all participants. This means that both students and lecturers must provide proof.

    2) For all further University events with more than 50 participants, the 3G rule will also apply to all participants.

    People who do not wish to show their status or cannot prove it can be offered an alternative option to take part. The respective organiser is responsible for monitoring compliance with the 3G rule.

    With regards to the way it is recorded, the regulations for teaching events set out by the Presidential Board apply. 

    3) Vaccination is strongly recommended. Those who are unable or unwilling to do so and are not in the group of people who have recovered from an infection, are advised to take a test at CCS (Campus Covid Screen).

    4) Testing at CCS, including travel time from the workplace to the CCS test station, is to be counted as working time.

    5) The personal data regarding whether someone is vaccinated, recovered or tested will not be stored.

  • accessibility

    Where can I get information about accessibility in digital teaching?

    Accessible study programmes are without question connected with accessible teaching. For this reason, the Representative for Students with Disabilities and Chronic Illnesses has compiled information for teachers on how they can make their digital teaching more accessible to students with health impairments. The document (pdf) can be found at

    As part of the University of Göttingen’s participation in the Stifterverband’s Diversity-Audit “Vielfalt Gestalten” (designing diversity), the IT Department has developed handouts and checklists that provide you with information on how to create accessible teaching and learning materials.  These and other tips are available on the website of the Equal Opportunities and Diversity Unit at

  • admission (international)

    Can I enrol even if I can’t come to Göttingen to begin my studies?

    You can enrol for studies even if you cannot come to Göttingen at the beginning of the winter semester. You can then participate in online courses and also take examinations if these are held online. If you are staying abroad in the meantime and you do not have a EU citizenship, you are not required to provide evidence of German health insurance for enrolment. This obligation only applies once you enter Germany. For additional information, please contact the Registrar’s Office ( or the International Student Office (

  • advice & counselling

    In addition to University administration as well as the central information The pandemic presents us all with major challenges. If things are not working out so well for you, our broad network of advice centres is available to you. In case of need , the following offices can be particularly helpful:

    Thematic overview pages

    #ÖA 25.11.2020

  • Attendance lists and data protection

    According to the current regulations of the state government regarding the restrictions to combat the coronavirus pandemic, the collection of personal data is required in certain cases. In particular, this concerns the conduct of exams which are attended in person and excursions, as well as other specific events that require attendance, in addition to visits from external people, e.g. visitors or suppliers, onto the premises of the University. The collection of data is based on Art. 6 Para. 1 UAbs. 1 lit. c) DSGVO (fulfilment of a legal obligation) and must be publicised to those concerned in advance by means of an information sheet in accordance with Art. 13 DSGVO. A model for this kind of information can be found on the homepages of the Data Protection Officer German/English).

    The purpose of this arrangement is to enable the relevant authorities to trace possible chains of infection in the event of an incident of infection. Please note that the collection of data by the University in these cases is exclusively for this purpose and that the corresponding documentation is only to be presented to the responsible public health department upon request. In this respect, the University is obliged to keep the data private and secure and to destroy it after one month at the latest.

    In order to increase data protection and data security, the details of the persons are to be collected on individual pieces of paper, which are kept for 4 weeks with a deletion date. Each piece of paper or, in the case of several pieces of paper, the bundle of pieces of paper regarding one day are to be kept in a sealed envelope, as the data are solely for the Health Authority. The corresponding deletion date must be marked on the envelope and, in the event that the Health Authority does not request the release of the data beforehand, the data must be destroyed securely – if possible with a cross-cut shredder or by professional disposal (e.g. REISSWOLF).

    #8 12 June 2020

  • Campus Covid Screen

    The CAMPUS COVID SCREEN project offers students and staff of the University the option of regular, voluntary testing for SARS-CoV-2 infection.

    It is also available free of charge to all students and employees during the winter semester 2021/2022 after prior registration (see below).
    Further information:

    More information:

  • chip card (student ID)

    I am newly enrolled for the summer semester 2020. How do I get my account set up and my new chip card (student ID card)?

    Please follow these instructions to receive your student account and student ID.

    Updated: 5 October 2020

    I have lost or damaged my chip card. How do I get a replacement?

    As of June 07 2021, you can have new cards created personally. For this, it is absolutely necessary to make an appointment in advance. A member of staff* at the Office of Student Affairs is available Monday to Friday 9-12 a.m. at 0551-39 26139 to arrange an appointment.

    Please note: The card will be issued at the Office of Student Affairs (Wilhelmsplatz 4). For the replacement card, eight euros in cash are to be paid on site. It is not possible to issue the card without an appointment. The possible time for appointments is Monday, Wednesday and Friday before noon and Tuesdays and Thursdays in the afternoon. When issuing the student ID in person, all involved will be protected by a prudent hygiene concept. Please wear a mouth-and-nose protection and follow the signs on site.

    If you are currently unable to come to Göttingen and need a replacement student ID card for urgent reasons, please make sure to update your contact details and address(es) in the self-service portal in eCampus.

    Afterwards please transfer eight euros to the following bank account, including your first and last name, and matriculation number, along with the keyword „Ersatzkarte“ (replacement card) in the transaction note:

    Recipient: Georg-August-Universität Göttingen

    Financial Institution: Nord/LB Hannover

    IBAN: DE 57 2505 0000 0199 9537 04


    Then send an email from your student email account (other sources will not be considered for security reasons) Please include a photo of yourself, as described below, and be sure to include the following information:

    • First and last name, as stated on your official identity card (such as your passport)
    • Birthdate
    • student ID number, also known as matriculation number (Matrikelnummer)
    • Home mailing address, where the ID card can be sent securely
    • A digital portrait photo (3:4 portrait format, colour JPG, smaller than 1 MB, if possible, and with a monochromatic background, if possible).

    After receipt of your email and verification of your data, the replacement card will be sent to the address provided. Please understand that this may take some time, due to increased demand.

    If you had remaining credit on your old card, this site has information on how to transfer it. (Scroll down to English part.)

    Updated: 3 June 2021

    I would like to renew my student ID. Are the printers for renewing cards or the Chip Card Office available? Is there a replacement for the semester ticket?

    For the validation of the chip card (student ID) f the printer for renewing cards in the ZHG is available to be used in compliance with the current regulations for protection against infections. The printer is accessible via the ZHG entrance opposite the Oeconomicum on weekdays from 10:00 to 17:00. Users must keep a distance of 2.5m from all other people and must without fail wear a face mask to cover their nose and mouth. The printers to renew cards in the UMG and Physics libraries are also available again.

    The printer to renew cards at Wilhelmsplatz 4 is not yet available due to the current situation caused by the coronavirus pandemic. The Chip Card Office itself will also remain closed to the public.

    Updated: 27 April 2020

    I had my Student ID card blocked because I had lost it. Now I have found it again and would like to have the blocking lifted. How can I do that?

    Then send an email from your student email account (other sources will not be considered for security reasons) Please be sure to include the following information:

    • First and last name, as stated on your official identity card (such as your passport)
    • Birthdate
    • Student ID number, also known as matriculation number (Matrikelnummer)

    Please note that we can only lift the blocking of your ID if no new card was produced yet.

    Updated: 15. March 2021

    I am exmatriculated, but still have money on my chip card. What can I do?

    The Studentenwerk can transfer the remaining credit balance to your account. Please send an email to Please include your name, date of birth, student number and the number for your chip card. You will find the chip card number, which begins with 0007, on the back of your student card. Please also include your bank account details. If it is not your account, please mention this in the email and include the name of the account holder.

    Updated: 14. January 2020

  • Contact Details

    please find all information regarding the software used at the University at

    The spread of the coronavirus SARS-CoV-2 in the University of Göttingen needs to be slowed down as much as possible and occurrences of the illness need to be prevented. For this reason, it is necessary to identify the contacts of anyone who receives a positive test. This contact-tracing is carried out exclusively by the responsible Gesundheitsamt (health department). Nevertheless, the University is required to be prepared for these incidents and to support the health department in its investigations as quickly and as well as it can.


    Despite contact-tracing, you will, of course, continue to have control about what happens to your personal data; this is especially true with regard to particularly sensitive health information. Nevertheless, the University as employer is responsible for the well-being of all its employees and must protect them from possible infection. It is therefore essential that you immediately communicate any information about a positive coronavirus test to the University. This information will, of course, not be kept on file in writing, but will only be used to identify contacts. Efforts should be made to identify contacts as much as possible without naming them.

    Link: Flowchart for COVID-19 cases at the University of Göttingen (excluding UMG) as concerns “employees”.


    For students, just as for employees, it is true that the University also feels responsible for the well-being of all students. Therefore, it is also essential for students that you immediately forward the information about a positive coronavirus test to the University. This is voluntary, unlike with employees and teachers. Again, attempts should be made to identify contacts as much as possible without naming them.

    Link: Flowchart for COVID-19 cases at the University of Göttingen (without UMG) as concerns “students and teachers”.

    If category II contacts have been identified at the relevant institutions, this document can serve as a guide for further action. You can also forward this information to those concerned.

    Link: Measures against coronavirus: guidance for category II contacts.

  • coronavirus - general information

    For general questions about protection against the virus and travel to the affected regions please see the following websites (in German):

    Or in English:

    The Bundeszentrale also offers a download of the most frequently asked questions about the novel coronavirus (in German):

  • dining facilities

    Are the dining facilities open?

    The refectories and cafeterias of the Studentenwerk are closed from Monday, 14 December 2020 to Sunday, 10 January 2021. Please check Studentenwerk’s website:
    Studentenwerk Gö

  • discrimination, dealing with

    Anyone affected by discrimination, as well as observers, counsellors and all other interested parties can find answers to their questions on the following webpage: Guide: Dealing with discrimination at the University of Göttingen, for instance:

    • What is discrimination and how do I recognise it?
    • What can I do?

    #CD 03 September 2021

  • Events

    Please refer to our current 3-level, colour-coded system

    An overview of the current 3G rule at the university can be found here.

  • excursions & practical training

    These regulations apply for summer semester 2021 (until 30 September 2021):

    Excursions and practical training in the field, are permitted in accordance with the Covid-19 3-level system, depending on the currently assigned level at the University. The general health and hygiene rules must be observed, and if necessary, the number of participants will have to be limited to ensure these measures can be kept.

    The contact details of the participants must be recorded in accordance with the Nds. (Niedersachsen) coronavirus regulations (ie name, first name, full address, telephone number).

    The business trip regulations of the University are to be followed for travel and accommodation.

    For excursions outside Lower Saxony, please observe the appropriate state regulations and contact the local health authority or local regulatory agency as necessary.

    Please also refer to the information in the A-Z-index under BUSINESS TRAVEL.

    For the winter semester 2021/22 (beginning 1 October 2021) please note these new regulations: Information about the organisation of teaching in the winter semester (PDF)

    #SL 10.09.2021

  • Increased Standard Period of Study

    Lower Saxony extends standard period of study by another semester

    In view of the ongoing coronavirus pandemic, Lower Saxony has decided to increase the individual standard period of study by another semester. All students who were enrolled for three semesters in the period from summer semester 2020 to summer semester 2021 and were not on leave of absence will receive an extension of their individual standard period of study by three semesters. Students who have only been enrolled for one semester during this period and have not been granted leave of absence will have their individual standard period of study extended by one semester etc..

    If you have already been credited with corresponding semesters in other states in Germany, this regulation does not apply. The extension of the individual standard period of study also increases the study credit (§ 12 NHG), but only if it was not used up before or at the end of the summer semester 2019.

    What do I have to do now as a student?

    If the regulations apply to you, the semester credit will now be credited to you automatically. You do not have to do anything else. Students who have paid long-term tuition fees for the first time in the period from summer semester 2020 to summer semester 2021 will automatically receive a refund of the overpayment, as these fees are now no longer applicable due to the new regulations. An application for reimbursement is not required for this.

    How do I obtain a certificate?

    The extension by one or two or three semesters is indicated on the Immatrikulationsbescheinigung (certificate of enrolment), the Studienzeitbescheinigung (confirmation of periods of study) and the BAföG-Bescheinigung (certificate for §9 BAföG).

    20. July 2021

  • Infection (suspected or diagnosed), quarantine, symptoms of illness
  • infection protection

    For information regarding “Vaccination” go to this page.

    How else can I protect myself from infection?

    As with influenza and other acute respiratory tract infections, following standard guidelines for coughing and sneezing, good hand hygiene and keeping a distance from anyone who is infectious (at least 1.5 metres) also protects against transmission of the new coronavirus. Shaking hands should be avoided. Please note this advice from our occupational health service: If you want to protect yourself against infection from corona viruses via hand-contact, thorough hand-washing is completely sufficient. The use of hand-sanitizers is not necessary. Since disinfectants and personal protective equipment – which are urgently needed in the care of sick people – are now in short supply worldwide, we strongly urge you not to use them inappropriately and unnecessarily. Hospitals and medical services urgently need these scarce resources to protect the people they have to care for and treat. At present, numerous tips and advice can be found in the media and on the Internet. How can you figure out which are the most useful ones? Our corporate health service recommends the Internet pages (only currently available in German) of the Robert Koch Institute and of the Bundeszentrale für gesundheitliche Aufklärung. In addition, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the World Health Organization (WHO) both have websites which contains many tips in English, including:

    • wash your hands properly and frequently
    • maintain social distancing
    • avoid touching your eyes, nose, mouth
    • maintain good hygiene when coughing or sneezing
    • if you have fever, cough or difficulty breathing, seek medical advice early
    • Stay informed and follow advice from your healthcare provider

    As this webpage has become so busy in the last few days, we have made the most important graphics available for local download:

  • library - SUB

    The SUB has an FAQ to address questions regarding operation of University libraries during the pandemic. You can find contact information on the same  web page, should you have any further questions you would like to ask.


  • Long-term tuition fees

    Can I be exempted from paying the long-term tuition fees?

    Lower Saxony reacted quickly to recognise the impact of the pandemic on the period of time needed to study, by announcing the opportunity to submit a simplified hardship application without proof in the early summer of 2020. This option has now expired, because all students who were enrolled in at least two of the semesters (Summer 2020, Winter 2020/21 or Summer 2021) and were not on leave of absence, have already been granted an extension of two semesters to their individual standard period of study.

    For students at the University of Göttingen, these extra semesters are automatically stored in the student administration system and a recalculation of your fee will be carried out. If you have been assessed for long-term tuition fees for the first time in one of the semesters mentioned above and it is decided that there has been an overpayment, this will automatically be refunded to you. You do not have to do anything else.

    If students have already benefited from the simplified hardship application mentioned above, the semester will be taken into account and the fee recalculated. However, as a rule, only two semester will be taken into account through the above-mentioned regulations.

    In addition, students still have the option in individual cases, within the current deadlines, to submit a justified and documented hardship application for a semester in which delays in study time have occurred due to the direct and demonstrable effects of the coronavirus pandemic on teaching and study. This application must be accompanied by appropriate proof and evidence, such as a certificate from the Examinations Office regarding restrictions suffered for instance due to cancelled/postponed compulsory courses/examinations.

    The new form for the summer semester 2021 will be available via the forms in eCampus from the start of the lecture period on 12 April 2021 and for one month after the end of the lecture period (16 August 2021).

    Go to form.

    For further information on long-term tuition fees, please see:

  • Long-term tuition fees – Medical Certificates

    If you are exempted from long-term study fees due to disability, serious illness or hardship, you usually need an official medical certificate. Due to the pandemic-related workload of the public health authorities, it is possible until further notice to present a medical certificate from a specialist or family doctor as an alternative. The certificate issued by the public medical officer must specify the semesters in which the student’s ability to study was/is limited. Furthermore, the amount of the restriction on the ability to study must be stated (as a percentage). Further information can be found in the FAQ Long-term study fees.


  • mobile working
  • People at higher risk of developing severe COVID-19 disease

    People at higher risk of developing severe COVID-19 disease should be offered the option to stay away from the workplace if the recommended occupational health and safety measures cannot be observed there. Particular attention must be paid to maintaining a minimum distance of 1.5m from other people and to wearing a face mask for all people concerned. In single-occupant offices, for example, there is not an increased risk of infection.

    If managers can offer their staff (including student assistants) a safe workplace, there is no need to stay away from the workplace even for at-risk groups. It is therefore not absolutely necessary to provide a medical certificate confirming assignment to a risk group, but in individual cases it can be helpful for both the employee and the manager.

    However, if it is not possible to employ a person assigned to an at-risk group either safely on-site or by working from home, it is mandatory to obtain an opinion from the Betriebsärztlichen Dienst (occupational health). Only then can a leave of absence be granted with pay/remuneration.

    #5 12.11.2020

  • print & copy

    It is possible to access a machine for printing, scanning and copying in the central library as well as in the departmental libraries. However, you can only print if you bring your own laptop or if you use the email-to-print version with your smartphone. The public computer workstations of StudIT can still not be used.

    Printing is possible during the respective opening hours as shown here:

    Instructions for printing with your smartphone can be found in the StudIT wiki (in German):

    #ÖA 15.01.2021

  • regulations and decrees

    The current status according to state law can be found on the website of the state government at ( in German). In particular, the current „Niedersächsische Verordnung über infektionsschützende Maßnahmen gegen die Ausbreitung des Corona-Virus“ (Lower Saxony regulations on infection-protection measures against the spread of the corona virus) and the state government’s phased plan „Neuer Alltag in Niedersachsen“ (New day-to-day life in Lower Saxony) are available for download in German.

    General rulings and information from the City of Göttingen can be accessed, in German, at You will also find the link to the current general rulings from the Amtsblatt (the Göttingen Official Gazette) (

    SARS-CoV-2 Oc­cu­pa­tio­nal Sa­fe­ty and He­alth Stan­dard (Federal Ministry of Labour and Social Affairs)

  • regulations and measures for protection against infection

    On 29 July, 2020, a revised document was published about the regulations and measures for protection against infection during these times of reduced presence operation at the University.

  • Residence permit

    The Foreigners’ Registration Office (Ausländerbehörde) of the city and district of Göttingen are open and can be reached as usual. Due to the pandemic, there are still some procedural delays and restrictions in personal contact.

    Website of the Foreigners’ Registration Office of the city (in German):

    Website of the Foreigners’ Registration Office of the district of Göttingen (in German):

    #GI 21.09.2020

  • risk groups

    People at higher risk of developing severe COVID-19 disease

    People who have an increased risk of developing severe Covid-19 should be offered the option of staying away from the workplace if the recommended occupational safety measures cannot be observed there. Particular attention should be paid here to maintaining a minimum distance of 1.5 m from other persons or, if this is not possible, wearing a mouth-nose cover for all persons involved. Office workplaces in an individual office, for example, do not pose a risk of infection; the care of small children in a day care centre would not be recommended for persons at risk.

    If managers can offer their employees (including student assistants) a secured workplace, there is no need for risk groups to stay away from the workplace. If you have any questions regarding the assessment of an employee’s illness and/or the design of a workplace that is as safe as possible, the company medical service offers advice for managers and employees.

    The medical certificate required under the previous regulations should be presented to assist the occupational health service in any case, but is now no longer sufficient in itself to obtain leave from work.

    #5 05.05.2020

  • Students with children

    Information and tips for students with children can be found at Corona: information on Work-Life Balance

    The Facebook Group: “Studieren mit Kind an der Uni Göttingen” (Studying with children at Uni Göttingen) offers the opportunity to exchange ideas.

  • Study Abroad and Internships

    Will it be possible to complete a semester abroad in the summer semester 2021?

    Due to the constantly changing conditions, students who have already been nominated for an exchange programme should get in touch directly with their usual contacts directly for up-to-date information.

    The International Student Advisors at Göttingen International can be reached via the contact form:

    What about students who are planning a (compulsory) semester abroad or who are already abroad? Are they required to return to their home university if the Covid 19 pandemic gets worse? 

    There is no mandatory requirement for students to return to their home university. However, students who are abroad are recommended by the University of Göttingen to heed the recommendations and travel warnings of the Federal Foreign Office and return accordingly. 

    Note to Erasmus+ KA 103 students: If possible, students are recommended to postpone their stay or start the semester virtually from their home university. Please consult the programme officers and the Erasmus+ KA team. 

    Note to PROMOS students: If there is a general travel warning from the Federal Foreign Office, the stay cannot be continued and students are urgently requested to interrupt their stay and return to their home country. 

    For students whose degree programmes have a compulsory stay abroad, will these requirements be suspended?

    At present, only limited travel is possible, therefore very few students are abroad. After making adjustments to the APO, among other things some digital and virtual alternatives are already being offered. However, an appropriate solution for each affected degree programme with compulsory stays abroad is required on a case by case basis. The faculty coordinators or programme coordinators must work with the respective partner universities to achieve this.

    Teacher training: What about mandatory study-related stays abroad that had to finish early? Is it still possible to obtain recognition for the traineeship?

    Students who are in the process of studying a two-subject Bachelor’s programme or who are at the beginning of their Master’s programme are advised on their study planning and will get support to postpone the planned study-related stay abroad to a later period.

    In order to avoid the effects of the current exceptional situation extending the time spent studying, students who are already close to the end of their Master’s programme can apply for compensation for the study-related stay abroad.

    For this purpose, students must already have acquired at least 61 credits in their Master’s of Education. The compensation will be agreed with the academic advisors on a case-by-case basis.

    An application must be submitted to the relevant examination board.

    #GI & ZEWIL 13.10.2020

  • Teaching in the winter semester 2021/22

    Collected information and answers to frequently asked questions can be found on the overview page on teaching in the winter semester.

    An overview of the current 3G rule at the university can be found here.

  • Travel and entry, coming to Göttingen

    Information on coming to Göttingen as well as on the winter semester 2021/22 under pandemic conditions can be found here:

    #GI 12.08.2021

  • ventilation
  • Visitors, staff and students from abroad (incomings)

    It is possible to admit guests, if the actual Ordinance on Coronavirus Entry Regulations of the Federal Ministry of Health allows entry.
    Specific regulations, including such for new recruits, are to be found in the new version of the “Rules and procedures for admitting people to the University of Göttingen” (version 3.1, 24th August 2021).

    International students can find specific information at

    #GI 24.08.2021

  • ZESS

    Will the ZESS courses (e.g. language courses) take place?

    All information regarding courses offered by the Centre for Languages and Key Qualifications during the pandemic can be found at