Teaching A-Z

  • accessibility

    Where can I get information about accessibility in digital teaching?

    Accessible study programmes are without question connected with accessible teaching. For this reason, the Representative for Students with Disabilities and Chronic Illnesses has compiled information for teachers on how they can make their digital teaching more accessible to students with health impairments. The document (pdf) can be found at http://www.uni-goettingen.de/en/408350.html

    As part of the University of Göttingen’s participation in the Stifterverband’s Diversity-Audit “Vielfalt Gestalten” (designing diversity), the IT Department has developed handouts and checklists that provide you with information on how to create accessible teaching and learning materials.  These and other tips are available on the website of the Equal Opportunities and Diversity Unit at https://www.uni-goettingen.de/en/625078.html

  • admission (international)

    Can I enrol even if I can’t come to Göttingen to begin my studies?

    You can enrol for studies even if you cannot come to Göttingen at the beginning of the winter semester. You can then participate in online courses and also take examinations if these are held online. If you are staying in a non-European country in the meantime, you are not required to provide evidence of German health insurance for enrolment. This obligation only applies once you enter Germany. For additional information, please contact the Registrar’s Office (infoline-studium@uni-goettingen.de) or the International Student Office (international.study@uni-goettingen.de).

  • advice & counselling

    In addition to University administration as well as the central information The pandemic presents us all with major challenges. If things are not working out so well for you, our broad network of advice centres is available to you. In case of need , the following offices can be particularly helpful:

    Thematic overview pages

    #ÖA 25.11.2020

  • annual reviews

    In agreement with the Staff Council (Personalrat), the deadline for carrying out annual reviews in 2020 has been extended until 31 December 2020.

    Jahresgespräche (Annual reviews) must not be conducted via video conferencing, because undisturbed and confidential discussions cannot be guaranteed.

    #5 08.10.2020

  • Attendance lists and data protection

    According to the current regulations of the state government regarding the restrictions to combat the coronavirus pandemic, the collection of personal data is required in certain cases. In particular, this concerns the conduct of exams which are attended in person and excursions, as well as other specific events that require attendance, in addition to visits from external people, e.g. visitors or suppliers, onto the premises of the University. The collection of data is based on Art. 6 Para. 1 UAbs. 1 lit. c) DSGVO (fulfilment of a legal obligation) and must be publicised to those concerned in advance by means of an information sheet in accordance with Art. 13 DSGVO. A model for this kind of information can be found on the homepages of the Data Protection Officer German/English).

    The purpose of this arrangement is to enable the relevant authorities to trace possible chains of infection in the event of an incident of infection. Please note that the collection of data by the University in these cases is exclusively for this purpose and that the corresponding documentation is only to be presented to the responsible public health department upon request. In this respect, the University is obliged to keep the data private and secure and to destroy it after one month at the latest.

    In order to increase data protection and data security, the details of the persons are to be collected on individual pieces of paper, which are kept for 4 weeks with a deletion date. Each piece of paper or, in the case of several pieces of paper, the bundle of pieces of paper regarding one day are to be kept in a sealed envelope, as the data are solely for the Health Authority. The corresponding deletion date must be marked on the envelope and, in the event that the Health Authority does not request the release of the data beforehand, the data must be destroyed securely – if possible with a cross-cut shredder or by professional disposal (e.g. REISSWOLF).

    #8 12 June 2020

  • Business travel

    (English translation provided for informational purposes. If the English and German versions allow different interpretations, the German version should be followed).

    Managers as well as those travelling on business themselves have specific responsibilities when considering business trips. Each individual case should be considered to see how urgent the need for a planned business trip is and if there are online alternatives. Even a business trip that has already been approved should therefore be checked in the light of the current infection situation before the trip begins and, if necessary, the approval should be withdrawn.

    Managers and business travellers can obtain information about the current coronavirus infection rate, as well as assessments of the risk at any time via the RKI website and the website of the Auswärtigen Amt (Federal Foreign Office).

    Please also refer to the regulations of the COVID-19 3-level system (STUFENPLAN).

    Travel for work – within Germany

    Currently, business trips within Germany are possible again (as per levels 1 and 2 of the CoVID-19 3-level system). Pleaes consider the restrictions for business trips according to level 2. It is the responsibility of the managers and the employees themselves to check the necessity of a business trip and to only carry out business trips that are absolutely necessary and/or cannot be postponed.

    If the University is in level 3 of the COVID-19 3-level system, no business trips – regardless of whether in Germany or abroad – should be carried out. Should a business trip be urgently necessary in individual and exceptional cases (in particular for maintenance and care of animals and/or research work that cannot be postponed, such as seasonal fieldwork), this is only possible with exceptional approval. The faculties or the heads of the institutions are responsible for granting exceptional permission for business trips within Germany. The faculties are responsible for organising the decision-making process themselves; delegation to the heads of institutes/departments is possible.

    Travel for work – abroad

    All business travel abroad remains subject to the approval of the Krisenstab (crisis management team).

    Business trips that cannot be postponed due to, amongst other reasons, research work and in particular seasonal field and terrain work (e.g. measurements, sampling, assembly/disassembly of research equipment), are eligible for approval on a case-by-case basis.

    The necessary approval to undertake business travel in exceptional circumstances must be sought in good time from the crisis management team, at least two weeks before the start of the trip, by sending the form (available from the Mitarbeiterportal InfoCenter/Personalabteilung/Reisekosten) in an email via the Central Travel Cost Centre (zentrale.reisekostenstelle@zvw.uni-goettingen.de) or via the Lucom Platform (send to the Reisekostenstelle Zentral).  The application for an exemption to enable business trips abroad, as per the University’s 3-level system, requires the approval of the dean’s office. This approval must be attached to the application.

    Even after an exemption has been granted, please note that it can be withdrawn at any time if a travel warning for the destination is issued by the German Federal Foreign Office (Auswärtiges Amt) or if the destination is declared a risk area by the RKI (Robert Koch Institute) before the start of the business trip.  In individual cases, the Central Travel Cost Centre will inform the traveller and the institution about such a withdrawal. Travel expenses already incurred at this point in time, as well as cancellation costs, will be reimbursed.

    Travel and safety instructions and special entry and return requirements

    Since some countries have imposed entry bans or particular controls on certain groups of people or flights from certain regions, all business travellers must obtain information from the Germany-based embassy or consulate for their destination (see the homepage of the German Federal Foreign Office) before starting their journey. All travel and security instructions must be observed. Changes to the entry and quarantine regulations are sometimes made without any prior notice and with immediate effect. It is therefore the duty of business travellers to continuously monitor the situation and obtain information (State of Lower Saxony).

    Please also note the University information on “Quarantine, infection, symptoms of illness” and “Quarantine on return from travelling”.

    Hygiene and distancing measures

    We appeal to all staff to observe the hygiene and distancing rules to minimise the risk of infection and for their own health and safety on business trips in addition, of course, to other times. For this reason, arrival and departure and activities on site must always be carried out in accordance with up-to-date appropriate hygiene and distancing regulations and occupational health and safety standards. When using the railway, the appropriate regulations of Deutsche Bahn must also be observed. 

    Means of transport

    In principle, the use of all usual means of transport is permitted again and reimbursable within the scope of Lower Saxony’s team regulations (NRKVO). Reimbursement for use of a private vehicle is based on the provisions of Lower Saxony’s travel cost regulations (NRKVO). Reimbursement for the use of a private vehicle is based on the provisions of § 5 NRKVO.

    The maximum number of people in company vehicles or in hired vehicles during the coronavirus pandemic is 50% of the permitted number of seats.  In the case of odd numbers, the number may be rounded up to the next figure. If the minimum distance cannot be maintained, face masks (Mund-Nasen-Bedeckung or MNB) must be worn. Bearing in mind the University’s duty of care, the obligation to wear a face mask also applies to the driver of any official vehicle provided by the University. For longer journeys, even if the minimum distance is maintained, a break must be taken after 60 minutes and the car must be ventilated. Avoid loud conversations or singing (aerosol-generating behaviour) while driving. The operating instructions during the coronavirus pandemic issued by the Safety/Environment Section for service vehicles must be observed.

    Taking students along on business trips under the conditions of the allowable cases (as above) is allowed if the regulations on distancing can be maintained and the students’ presence is absolutely necessary. The same applies to sending students on trips in accordance with the travel cost guidelines for invited and students posted elsewhere.

    Travel costs for business trips that cannot take place

    Where expenses are incurred as a result of the cancellation of a business trip, a travel allowance shall be reimbursed at the rate of the costs incurred in making the necessary travel arrangements. However, please be aware that every opportunity should be taken immediately to keep the costs low and to cancel obligations already entered into as far as possible.


    If you have any questions, please contact the Central Travel Cost Centre on extension 24795 send an email to zentrale.reisekostenstelle@zvw.uni-goettingen.de.

    #6: update from 27 May and 7 June 2021

  • childcare

    (English translation provided for informational purposes. If the English and German versions allow different interpretations, the German version should be followed).

    Personnel law considerations in the absence of childcare

    I. Closure of the childcare facility or ban on entering the facility

    Note: a ban on entering an educational facility is in place, for example, if the child is quarantined by the Gesundheitsamt (health department) due to contact with a person carrying the infection without a requirement to undergo testing.

    The following applies to employees/student trainees (Auszubildende)/student assistants (Hilfskräfte):

    In summary, employees/trainees/assistants are eligible for the following leaves of absence to care for young children:

    a) Paid time off within the framework of the University’s own internal 10-day rule.

    • A leave of absence totalling a maximum of 10 working days (based on a 5-day week) may be granted if you are unable to carry out your work duties under the following conditions:
      • Your child has not yet reached the age of twelve or your child is in need of care
      • You are unable to provide the necessary care in any other way.

    If your standard worktime differs from five working days, the proportion is increased or decreased accordingly. The days do not necessarily have to be taken in a block. It is also possible and sensible to grant them on a daily basis.

    b) For those with statutory insurance: unpaid leave of absence according to § 45 para. 2a SGB V.

    • The entitlement is for a total of 20 working days, for single parents up to 40 days.
    • You receive children’s sick pay from the health insurance fund (Krankenkasse).
    • The entitlement only exists if no other person living in the household can supervise, care for or nurse the child and the child must be supervised or cared for due to the pandemic.

    c) For those with private insurance and after exhaustion of child sick days according to § 45 para. 2a SGB V: unpaid leave of absence according to § 56 para. 1a Infektionsschutzgesetz (infection protection act)

    • Compensation is paid in accordance with Infektionsschutzgesetz (infection protection act) up to a maximum of 67% of the net amount.
    • Entitlement exists only if no other person living in the household can supervise, care for or nurse the child and the child must be supervised or cared for due to the pandemic.
    • Entitlement to compensation for periods outside school vacations for a maximum of 10 weeks per eligible person or 20 weeks for single parents.
    • This compensation is paid by the employer university and you maintain your current social security status.

    Once these days are used up, consideration should be given to taking time off in lieu of extra worked hours, or annual leave or, if necessary, applying for part-time work.

    For children who have reached the age of 12, neither paid leave of absence nor a benefit according to the SGB or IFSG can be claimed.

    The following applies to those with Beamte status:

    • As per § 9 of the Lower Saxony Sonderurlaubsverordnung (exceptional leave regulation – Nds. SUrlVO), Beamte may be granted leave with continued payment for important personal reasons in urgent cases of up to three working days per leave year. In addition, special leave with continued payment of remuneration may be granted in individual cases in accordance with Section 11 of Nds SUrlVO, even if the Beamte has to ensure the care of his or her young child due to the closure of a daycare centre or school, other care is not guaranteed and other measures, such as working from home, are neither feasible nor appropriate.
    • In addition, the state government has recently released the planned amendment to the Lower Saxony Sonderurlaubsverordnung for association participation. The entitlement of Beamte in Lower Saxony to exceptional leave is to be increased temporarily for the years 2020 and 2021 to ensure the supervision, care and nursing of a seriously ill child and the care of a relative in need of care. The intended temporary increase in special leave days is intended to enable the care, supervision or nursing of a sick child during the COVID 19 pandemic. Lower Saxony thus follows the regulations of the federal government and other German states. The entitlement to exceptional leave with continued payment for Beamte in Lower Saxony is to be increased by five days per leave year if a child falls ill, and by nine days per leave year if an acute care situation arises. However, a corresponding medical certificate is required.

    To obtain a leave of absence to care for your child – irrespective of the legal basis – please fill out the form “Corona – Notification of Absence and Leave of Absence” (https://intern.uni-goettingen.de/services/Seiten/default.aspx#C) and send it, also by email if you wish, to your HR administrator.

    II. Restrictions to the actual agreed care service (eg cancellation of afternoon care due to the coronavirus)

    Neither the law nor contractual agreements provide for paid leave in these circumstances. However, the Presidential Board has agreed with the Personalrat (staff council) to continue using the option of working from home in these cases, provided that the conditions (workplace, technical requirements) are met. In this case, working from home must be discussed with the manager. A certificate from the childcare facility must be provided.

  • chip card (student ID)

    I am newly enrolled for the summer semester 2020. How do I get my account set up and my new chip card (student ID card)?

    Please follow these instructions to receive your student account and student ID.

    Updated: 5 October 2020

    I have lost or damaged my chip card. How do I get a replacement?

    As of June 07 2021, you can have new cards created personally. For this, it is absolutely necessary to make an appointment in advance. A member of staff* at the Office of Student Affairs is available Monday to Friday 9-11 a.m. at 0551-39 26139 to arrange an appointment.

    Please note: The card will be issued at the Office of Student Affairs (Wilhelmsplatz 4). For the replacement card, eight euros in cash are to be paid on site. It is not possible to issue the card without an appointment. The possible time for appointments is Monday, Wednesday and Friday before noon and Tuesdays and Thursdays in the afternoon. When issuing the student ID in person, all involved will be protected by a prudent hygiene concept. Please wear a mouth-and-nose protection and follow the signs on site.

    If you are currently unable to come to Göttingen and need a replacement student ID card for urgent reasons, please make sure to update your contact details and address(es) in the self-service portal in eCampus.

    Afterwards please transfer eight euros to the following bank account, including your first and last name, and matriculation number, along with the keyword „Ersatzkarte“ (replacement card) in the transaction note:

    Recipient: Georg-August-Universität Göttingen

    Financial Institution: Nord/LB Hannover

    IBAN: DE 57 2505 0000 0199 9537 04


    Then send an email from your student email account (other sources will not be considered for security reasons)Ersatzchipkarte@uni-goettingen.de. Please include a photo of yourself, as described below, and be sure to include the following information:

    • First and last name, as stated on your official identity card (such as your passport)
    • Birthdate
    • student ID number, also known as matriculation number (Matrikelnummer)
    • Home mailing address, where the ID card can be sent securely
    • A digital portrait photo (3:4 portrait format, colour JPG, smaller than 1 MB, if possible, and with a monochromatic background, if possible).

    After receipt of your email and verification of your data, the replacement card will be sent to the address provided. Please understand that this may take some time, due to increased demand.

    If you had remaining credit on your old card, this site has information on how to transfer it. (Scroll down to English part.)

    Updated: 3 June 2021

    I would like to renew my student ID. Are the printers for renewing cards or the Chip Card Office available? Is there a replacement for the semester ticket?

    For the validation of the chip card (student ID) f the printer for renewing cards in the ZHG is available to be used in compliance with the current regulations for protection against infections. The printer is accessible via the ZHG entrance opposite the Oeconomicum on weekdays from 10:00 to 17:00. Users must keep a distance of 2.5m from all other people and must without fail wear a face mask to cover their nose and mouth. The printers to renew cards in the UMG and Physics libraries are also available again.

    The printer to renew cards at Wilhelmsplatz 4 is not yet available due to the current situation caused by the coronavirus pandemic. The Chip Card Office itself will also remain closed to the public.

    Updated: 27 April 2020

    I had my Student ID card blocked because I had lost it. Now I have found it again and would like to have the blocking lifted. How can I do that?

    Then send an email from your student email account (other sources will not be considered for security reasons)Ersatzchipkarte@uni-goettingen.de. Please be sure to include the following information:

    • First and last name, as stated on your official identity card (such as your passport)
    • Birthdate
    • Student ID number, also known as matriculation number (Matrikelnummer)

    Please note that we can only lift the blocking of your ID if no new card was produced yet.

    Updated: 15. March 2021

    I am exmatriculated, but still have money on my chip card. What can I do?

    The Studentenwerk can transfer the remaining credit balance to your account. Please send an email to sekretariat@studentenwerk-goettingen.de. Please include your name, date of birth, student number and the number for your chip card. You will find the chip card number, which begins with 0007, on the back of your student card. Please also include your bank account details. If it is not your account, please mention this in the email and include the name of the account holder.

    Updated: 14. January 2020

  • committee meetings

    see A-Z EVENTS

  • Contact Details

    please find all information regarding the software used at the University at https://www.uni-goettingen.de/en/632070.html

    The spread of the coronavirus SARS-CoV-2 in the University of Göttingen needs to be slowed down as much as possible and occurrences of the illness need to be prevented. For this reason, it is necessary to identify the contacts of anyone who receives a positive test. This contact-tracing is carried out exclusively by the responsible Gesundheitsamt (health department). Nevertheless, the University is required to be prepared for these incidents and to support the health department in its investigations as quickly and as well as it can.


    Despite contact-tracing, you will, of course, continue to have control about what happens to your personal data; this is especially true with regard to particularly sensitive health information. Nevertheless, the University as employer is responsible for the well-being of all its employees and must protect them from possible infection. It is therefore essential that you immediately communicate any information about a positive coronavirus test to the University. This information will, of course, not be kept on file in writing, but will only be used to identify contacts. Efforts should be made to identify contacts as much as possible without naming them.

    Link: Flowchart for COVID-19 cases at the University of Göttingen (excluding UMG) as concerns “employees”.


    For students, just as for employees, it is true that the University also feels responsible for the well-being of all students. Therefore, it is also essential for students that you immediately forward the information about a positive coronavirus test to the University. This is voluntary, unlike with employees and teachers. Again, attempts should be made to identify contacts as much as possible without naming them.

    Link: Flowchart for COVID-19 cases at the University of Göttingen (without UMG) as concerns “students and teachers”.

    If category II contacts have been identified at the relevant institutions, this document can serve as a guide for further action. You can also forward this information to those concerned.

    Link: Measures against coronavirus: guidance for category II contacts.

  • coronavirus - general information

    For general questions about protection against the virus and travel to the affected regions please see the following websites (in German):

    Or in English:

    The Bundeszentrale also offers a download of the most frequently asked questions about the novel coronavirus (in German):

  • course evaluations

    Will the regular online course evaluations “Online in Präsenz” take place in the winter semester 2020/21 despite the changed conditions?

    Will regular online-in-presence course evaluations take place in the winter semester 20/21 despite the changed conditions?
    The evaluation of the courses will take place in the winter semester 2020/21 in the usual procedure as online-in-presence evaluation via Stud.IP. The question items will be supplemented by the subject area of digital teaching. Further information and the schedule can be found on this website.

    #SL 08.10.2020

  • crisis management team

    The Krisenstab (crisis management team) of the University of Göttingen is working in close cooperation with the University Medical Center Göttingen (UMG), the City and the Göttingen Health Office as well as the Studentenwerk. It is headed by Vice Presidents Professor Norbert Lossau and Dr Valérie Schüller. Represented on the crisis management team are, among others, the HR Department, Teaching and Learning, Göttingen International, Facility Management, Chief Information Officer IT, the Data Protection Officer, Security and Environmental Protection, Occupational Health, and the Animal Welfare Officer. In addition, there are representatives from the University Senate and Personalrat as well as guests from the UMG, the City and health authorities as well as the student union. The crisis management team coordinates all relevant topics and currently meets twice a month.

    For the daily work, the leadership of the crisis management team consults twice a week with the President of the University, Professor Reinhard Jahn, and other members of the Presidential Board are consulted as required.

    #ÖA 27.05.2020

  • dining facilities

    Are the dining facilities open?

    The refectories and cafeterias of the Studentenwerk are closed from Monday, 14 December 2020 to Sunday, 10 January 2021. Please check Studentenwerk’s website:
    Studentenwerk Göttingen.de

  • discrimination, dealing with

    Anyone affected by discrimination, as well as observers, counsellors and all other interested parties can find answers to their questions on the following webpage: Guide: Dealing with discrimination at the University of Göttingen, for instance:

    • What is discrimination and how do I recognise it?
    • What can I do?

    Students who have experienced or observed discrimination can use the online notification form to report discrimination (anonymously if necessary) or contact the service for Anti-Discrimination Counselling for Students directly.

    #CD 26 May 2020

  • Distancing

    With the new health and safety regulations for work (Corona-Arbeitsschutzverordnung), a clearly defined amount of space for each person has been introduced to specify maximum room occupancy, in addition to the familiar distancing rule of at least 1.5 metres between people:

    If it is necessary for several people to occupy the same room together, the area per person in the room must not be less than ten square metres, insofar as the activities to be carried out permit this. If the activities to be carried out do not permit this, equivalent protection shall be provided by other appropriate protective measures, in particular by ventilation and suitable partitions between those present.

    The area is based on the size of the room (ie area of the floor). The space taken up by furniture and fixtures does not have to be deducted from the area of the floor. The same room occupancy guidelines are to be followed for students.

    If the requirements for room occupancy cannot be met, people must wear a medical mask there (for more information, read the entry: face masks or download the PDF: 3-level, colour-coded system (Stufenplan)).

    This requirement shall apply until further notice.


  • emergency aid fund: Bridging assistance for students in need

    Students who can demonstrate that they are facing an acute financial emergency due to the coronavirus pandemic can now apply for bridging assistance. The support is planned from November 2020 to March 2021.

    Information from the Studentenwerk can be found at www.studentenwerk-goettingen.de/en/counselling-social/social-service/ueberbrueckungshilfe.html and the link to the application form at https://www.xn--berbrckungshilfe-studierende-06cf.de/start.

  • emergency plan

    What is an emergency plan and what should it contain?

    In order to be prepared for possible scenarios, the University’s institutions have been asked to draw up emergency plans in case an infected person is identified in the surrounding area and/or the area or building has to be closed. The emergency plan should address the following questions:

    • What preventive measures can I take within the department / facility to minimize the risk of all employees being absent at the same time?
    • What tasks must be performed even if only a few employees are still available?
    • What tasks can no longer be performed if no or very few employees are available?
    • Will deadlines be met and must external agencies be informed that certain tasks cannot be completed at the moment?

  • equal opportunities
  • Events

    please refer to our current

    3-level, colour-coded system


  • excursions & practical training

    Excursions and practical training in the field, are permitted in accordance with the Covid-19 3-level system, depending on the currently assigned level at the University. The general health and hygiene rules must be observed, and if necessary, the number of participants will have to be limited to ensure these measures can be kept.

    The contact details of the participants must be recorded in accordance with the Nds. (Niedersachsen) coronavirus regulations (ie name, first name, full address, telephone number).

    The business trip regulations of the University are to be followed for travel and accommodation.

    For excursions outside Lower Saxony, please observe the appropriate state regulations and contact the local health authority or local regulatory agency as necessary.

    Please also refer to the information in the A-Z-index under BUSINESS TRAVEL.

    #SL 29.05.2020

  • face masks

    Following the decision of 19 January 2021 by the German states to tighten the measures to protect against the coronavirus, it has become necessary to adapt to the occupational health and safety standards for the employer from the Ministry of Labour and Social Affairs. This has been done through the Corona-Arbeitsschutzverordnung (coronavirus occupational health and safety regulation), which came into force from 27 January 2021. The familiar AHA-L rule (distancing, hygiene, (everyday) mask, ventilation) remains in place and it is imperative to observe this.

    What has changed:

    Wearing masks

    Since the standard masks (made of fabric) that had to be worn up to now are not subject to any standardisation with regard to the protection provided, the wearing of medical masks is now obligatory where people are unable to maintain the minimum distancing. Medical masks offer a higher standard of protection, in particular due to their specifications for the protective material. However, the important consideration remains the dispersal of aerosols (external protection). If everyone wears a mask with good filtering properties when exhaling, everyone is safer. Medical masks include surgical masks (OP masks), masks of KN95/N95 standard and FFP2 masks. These must be provided by the employer or the respective facility.

    At the University, the plan for protection continues to consist of maintaining the minimum distance and regular ventilation of the rooms. In most cases, it is therefore sufficient to wear a surgical mask (OP) instead of the current fabric masks (but please make sure that it is actually the correct medical product!). FFP2, KN95/N95 masks are only necessary in exceptional cases. Since these masks represent an additional burden and further requirements including training, wearing time etc, which are the responsibility of the employer, the use of FFP2/KN95/N95 masks must be coordinated with the Safety/Environmental Section.

    The institutions order these masks via their own ordering systems, eg GoeChem and EBP or via Central Purchasing (the Central Purchasing request form can be found at https://eforms.uni-goettingen.de/lip_zvw/content.do). Central Purchasing’s hotline: 0551/39-27000, fax: 0551/39-27001, email: zentraler.einkauf@uni-goettingen.de.

    There are no changes to the University’s guidelines on when a mask must be worn. These more rigorous rules are in force until further notice.

    All people (including visitors) are obliged to wear a face mask in all buildings of the University until they reach their workstation, seat etc. whatever route they use to get there – stairs, lifts, via toilets or photocopy rooms, etc. The obligation to wear a face mask also applies in lecture halls and seminar rooms as well as at seminars, conferences, meetings and events, etc. even after taking your seat, even if the minimum distance of 1.5 m between seats is kept.

    In the workplace, a decision about wearing face masks should be made by the appropriate faculty according to a risk assessment and the general health and hygiene rules.

    For the University grounds, the appropriate general regulations of the City of Göttingen regarding the wearing of a face mask in the open air apply accordingly.

    A face mask must be worn in order to be allowed to participate in events, lectures, seminars, meetings and other University proceedings. Exceptions can only be permitted on presentation of an appropriate medical certificate. In such cases, solutions will be sought on a case-by-case basis.

    The University will adapt these regulations depending on the situation regarding infection numbers. We hope to be able to relax them again when the incidence of infection come down.

    Frequently Asked Questions

    How can the correct masks be ordered?

    The institutions order these masks via their own ordering systems, eg GoeChem and EBP or via Central Purchasing (the Central Purchasing request form can be found at https://eforms.uni-goettingen.de/lip_zvw/content.do). Central Purchasing’s hotline: 0551/39-27000, fax: 0551/39-27001, email: zentraler.einkauf@uni-goettingen.de.

    What do we need to watch out for when using disposable masks?

    Please be sure to clean your hands with soap and water or hand-sanitiser before putting on the mask (to avoid the possibility of contaminating other masks in the packaging). When putting on the mask, make sure that the part with the metal strap is on top. For masks with ear loops, place them behind the ears. At the bottom, the mask must be pulled below the chin. The metal clip must be pressed as tightly as possible against the nose so that as little air as possible can escape upwards and to the sides. When removing the mask, make sure that it is only touched at the loops.

    Please see also:

    How long should a medical face mask be worn?

    There is no set time limit for wearing face masks, but it should be worn for a maximum of one shift. The mask must be changed if it becomes soaked, as it then loses its filtering effect. The moisture penetration of the mask depends on how much talking is done.

    How can you tell that it is the correct type of medical face mask?

    By the CE marking on the packaging.

    What type of medical face mask must be used?

    The regulation does not provide specific information on this point. It can therefore be assumed that type I is sufficient. According to the regulation, it must be a medical device in accordance with Directive 93/42/EEC, and preferably products in accordance with standard EN 14683:2019-10. These are medical devices of risk class I that have been developed to protect others.

    What should be done if no appropriate face masks are available due to delivery problems?

    If other medical masks (FFP2, KN 95, N95) are available, they must be worn (if this is the case, please contact the Safety/Environmental Section). If these are not available either, a fabric face mask should be worn. However, care must be taken to ensure that the fabric is as dense as possible. The more resistance against your breath, the better the filtering effect! Scarves made of synthetic fibres are not suitable. The face masks provided by the University are suitable.

    Do these face masks have to be disposed of separately?

    No. Please throw them away with the general household waste.

    What does having to wear a face mask during lectures and courses mean for teachers and students?

    In principle, lecturers are also obliged to wear face masks. It is only when a distance of at least 3m (preferably 4-5m), can be ensured between the lecturer and the students, that removing their face mask is allowed for reasons of functionality and practicability. It is not possible to make changes to a room if a room has already been measured: for instance, it is not practical to reduce the number of participants in order to increase the space between participants to over 3m because of the overall shortage of teaching space and the associated complex time-planning for these courses.

    Does everyone have to wear face masks during examinations?

    Students and teachers are obliged to wear a face mask (MNB) for oral and written examinations attended in person. The face mask may be taken off for a short time for drinking and eating.

    Is there a general obligation to wear face masks on campus outside buildings?

    When it comes to compulsory face masks outside, we follow the regulations of the city and the state. Currently (6 November 2020), this means on the University campus inside the Wall (Göttinger Stadtwall) and along the Wall, face masks are compulsory, but not on the campus outside. Of course, you are free to wear a mask there as well. Above all, however, we would ask you to observe the rules of distancing at all times.

    #S & ÖA 26.01.21

  • holiday

    What happens to annual leave that has already been approved during this period of working from home?
    At present, annual leave that has already been approved can only be cancelled for critical business reasons because your work is urgently needed during this time. Your manager must provide a detailed justification to support any such request. Requests for the withdrawal of a period of leave lasting longer than one week, can only be made via the manager of the HR Department (personalorganisation@zvw.uni-goettingen.de). In the current circumstances, this responsibility is not handled by the administrators of the worktime system.  At the request of the employee, an approved holiday for a period of up to one week can be cancelled for important official reasons with the consent of the appropriate manager (with institutional responsibility), and local worktime administrators.

    If I had planned to take a holiday now, but have not yet applied for it, do I have to take it?

    Planned but not yet approved recreational holidays (especially during the Easter holidays) should also be taken as far as possible, in order to ensure and not compromise the effectiveness of the University when normal operations begin. An application should only be waived if working at home or your actual presence at the workplace is absolutely necessary. If you do not submit an application for annual leave, you should always be available for work and can be called upon at any time.

    #5 05.10.2020

  • Increased Standard Period of Study

    Lower Saxony extends standard period of study by another semester

    In view of the ongoing coronavirus pandemic, Lower Saxony has decided to increase the individual standard period of study by another semester. All students who were enrolled for two semesters in the period from summer semester 2020 to summer semester 2021 and were not on leave of absence will receive an extension of their individual standard period of study by two semesters. Students who have only been enrolled for one semester during this period and have not been granted leave of absence will have their individual standard period of study extended by one semester. If you have already been credited with corresponding semesters in other states in Germany, this regulation does not apply. The extension of the individual standard period of study also increases the study credit (§ 12 NHG), but only if it was not used up before or at the end of the summer semester 2019.

    What do I have to do now as a student?

    If the regulations apply to you, the semester credit will now be credited to you automatically. You do not have to do anything else. Students who have paid long-term tuition fees for the first time in the period from summer semester 2020 to summer semester 2021 will automatically receive a refund of the overpayment, as these fees are now no longer applicable due to the new regulations. An application for reimbursement is not required for this. We plan to complete all repayments by the beginning of May.

    How do I obtain a certificate?

    The extension by one or two semesters is indicated on the Immatrikulationsbescheinigung (certificate of enrolment), the Studienzeitbescheinigung (confirmation of periods of study) and the BAföG-Bescheinigung (certificate for §9 BAföG).

    16. April 2021

  • Infection (suspected or diagnosed), quarantine, symptoms of illness
  • infection protection

    How can I protect myself from infection?

    As with influenza and other acute respiratory tract infections, following standard guidelines for coughing and sneezing, good hand hygiene and keeping a distance from anyone who is infectious (at least 1.5 metres) also protects against transmission of the new coronavirus. Shaking hands should be avoided. Please note this advice from our occupational health service: If you want to protect yourself against infection from corona viruses via hand-contact, thorough hand-washing is completely sufficient. The use of hand-sanitizers is not necessary. Since disinfectants and personal protective equipment – which are urgently needed in the care of sick people – are now in short supply worldwide, we strongly urge you not to use them inappropriately and unnecessarily. Hospitals and medical services urgently need these scarce resources to protect the people they have to care for and treat. At present, numerous tips and advice can be found in the media and on the Internet. How can you figure out which are the most useful ones? Our corporate health service recommends the Internet pages (only currently available in German) of the Robert Koch Institute and infektionsschutz.de of the Bundeszentrale für gesundheitliche Aufklärung. In addition, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the World Health Organization (WHO) both have websites which contains many tips in English, including:

    • wash your hands properly and frequently
    • maintain social distancing
    • avoid touching your eyes, nose, mouth
    • maintain good hygiene when coughing or sneezing
    • if you have fever, cough or difficulty breathing, seek medical advice early
    • Stay informed and follow advice from your healthcare provider

    As this webpage has become so busy in the last few days, we have made the most important graphics available for local download:

  • job interviews

    At present, interviews can only be conducted in person in strict compliance with the rules on hygiene and distancing, or online in urgent cases. Online interviews are to be arranged in such a way that the applicants as well as the staff council (Personalrat), equal opportunity officers and representatives for severely disabled persons have the technical and organisational opportunities to participate. Please pay special attention to the comparability of the interviews if there are technical problems or if the applicant is held back due to the technology. If you wish to carry out an online interview, this should be agreed with all participants and applicants. For data protection reasons, only BigBlueButton or DFNcon software may be used. A declaration of consent under data protection law is not necessary in the crisis period caused by the coronavirus. The conversations may not be recorded. You will find the relevant instructions on the GWDG website.

    You can use rooms at Wilhelmsplatz to conduct interviews, for example, in compliance with the distancing and hygiene regulations. Please make your reservation via Central Event Management (Veranstaltungsmanagement) and indicate the number of applicants and the maximum number of people in the interview in addition to the preferred date (tagungshaeuser@uni-goettingen.de).

    #ÖA 10.09.2020

  • Law regarding fixed-term employment contracts for researchers (Wissenschaftszeitvertragsgesetz)

    The HR Department has prepared an information sheet with all the important information on the amendment of the law regarding fixed-term employment contracts for researchers. The changes were published in the Federal Law Gazette on 28 May 2020 and thus came into force.

    You can download it from the following link: https://intern.uni-goettingen.de/infocenter/persinf/Documents/M/Merkblatt-WissZeitVG%20EN.pdf

    According to Section 7 (3) WissZeitVG, the Federal Ministry of Education and Research (BMBF) was authorised to extend the permitted time limit by a maximum of six months, if this appears necessary due to the continuing effects of the COVID-19 pandemic in the Federal Republic of Germany, by means of a statutory ordinance with the approval of the Bundesrat (Federal Council). The BMBF made use of this authorisation and the Bundesrat approved the WissZeitVG-Befristungsdauer-Verlängerungs-Verordnung (the regulation regarding extending the limit on the period of time or WissBDVV) (https://offenegesetze.de/veroeffentlichung/bgbl1/2020/43?q=WissZeitVG#page=25) in its meeting on 18 September 2020. The regulation therefore came into force on 1 October 2020.

    On the basis of this regulation, the total permitted time limit for employment contracts in accordance with Section 2 (1) WissZeitVG can be extended by a further six months beyond the extension made in Section 7 (3) sentence 1 WissZeitVG. The extension applies to the employment contracts already recorded in accordance with Section 7 (3) sentence 1 WissZeitVG, which exist or have existed at a point in time between 1 March 2020 and 30 September 2020. If employment is established between 1 October 2020 and 31 March 2021 (in accordance with Section 2, Paragraph 1 of the Wissenschaftszeitvertragsgesetzes or WissZeitVG), the total time limit permitted in accordance with Section 2, Paragraph 1, Clauses 1 and 2 is extended by six months.

    If you have any further questions, please contact the HR Department directly.

    #5 02.10.2020

  • liability

    What liability aspects need to be considered in connection with the reduced-presence operation of the University during the corona pandemic?

    There are no special provisions regarding the liability of employees and the University or Foundation. The usual University liability framework also applies in the context of the resumption of the reduced-presence operation. In this respect, the principle remains that employees of the University are only liable in the event of gross negligence or wilful breach of duty within the scope of their official duties.

    The specifications contained in the catalogue of measures concretise the duties of care which are necessary in the context of the current situation to protect against corona infection and which are expected of employees. If these are observed, it can be assumed that the employees are not liable in this respect.

  • library - SUB

    The SUB has an FAQ to address questions regarding operation of University libraries during the pandemic. You can find contact information on the same  web page, should you have any further questions you would like to ask.

    FAQ: https://www.sub.uni-goettingen.de/en/service-monitor-faq/faq-frequently-asked-questions/

  • Long-term tuition fees

    Can I be exempted from paying the long-term tuition fees?

    Lower Saxony reacted quickly to recognise the impact of the pandemic on the period of time needed to study, by announcing the opportunity to submit a simplified hardship application without proof in the early summer of 2020. This option has now expired, because all students who were enrolled in at least two of the semesters (Summer 2020, Winter 2020/21 or Summer 2021) and were not on leave of absence, have already been granted an extension of two semesters to their individual standard period of study.

    For students at the University of Göttingen, these extra semesters are automatically stored in the student administration system and a recalculation of your fee will be carried out. If you have been assessed for long-term tuition fees for the first time in one of the semesters mentioned above and it is decided that there has been an overpayment, this will automatically be refunded to you. You do not have to do anything else.

    If students have already benefited from the simplified hardship application mentioned above, the semester will be taken into account and the fee recalculated. However, as a rule, only two semester will be taken into account through the above-mentioned regulations.

    In addition, students still have the option in individual cases, within the current deadlines, to submit a justified and documented hardship application for a semester in which delays in study time have occurred due to the direct and demonstrable effects of the coronavirus pandemic on teaching and study. This application must be accompanied by appropriate proof and evidence, such as a certificate from the Examinations Office regarding restrictions suffered for instance due to cancelled/postponed compulsory courses/examinations.

    The new form for the summer semester 2021 will be available via the forms in eCampus from the start of the lecture period on 12 April 2021 and for one month after the end of the lecture period (16 August 2021).

    Go to form.

    For further information on long-term tuition fees, please see: https://www.uni-goettingen.de/en/41421.html

  • Long-term tuition fees – Medical Certificates

    If you are exempted from long-term study fees due to disability, serious illness or hardship, you usually need an official medical certificate. Due to the pandemic-related workload of the public health authorities, it is possible until further notice to present a medical certificate from a specialist or family doctor as an alternative. The certificate issued by the public medical officer must specify the semesters in which the student’s ability to study was/is limited. Furthermore, the amount of the restriction on the ability to study must be stated (as a percentage). Further information can be found in the FAQ Long-term study fees.


  • mobile working
  • occupational safety
  • People at higher risk of developing severe COVID-19 disease

    People at higher risk of developing severe COVID-19 disease should be offered the option to stay away from the workplace if the recommended occupational health and safety measures cannot be observed there. Particular attention must be paid to maintaining a minimum distance of 1.5m from other people and to wearing a face mask for all people concerned. In single-occupant offices, for example, there is not an increased risk of infection.

    If managers can offer their staff (including student assistants) a safe workplace, there is no need to stay away from the workplace even for at-risk groups. It is therefore not absolutely necessary to provide a medical certificate confirming assignment to a risk group, but in individual cases it can be helpful for both the employee and the manager.

    However, if it is not possible to employ a person assigned to an at-risk group either safely on-site or by working from home, it is mandatory to obtain an opinion from the Betriebsärztlichen Dienst (occupational health). Only then can a leave of absence be granted with pay/remuneration.

    #5 12.11.2020

  • PHD examinations

    Can PhD examinations be conducted online, for example, via Skype?

    PhD examinations may be conducted via video conference at the Graduate Schools GAUSS (including GGNB) and GFA as well as at the Faculties of Humanities and Economics. Usually both the doctoral candidates and the examination boards must agree to this procedure. In other areas of the University, video PhD examinations can usually also be arranged for urgent individual cases.

    27 April 2020

  • print & copy

    It is possible to access a machine for printing, scanning and copying in the central library as well as in the departmental libraries. However, you can only print if you bring your own laptop or if you use the email-to-print version with your smartphone. The public computer workstations of StudIT can still not be used.

    Printing is possible during the respective opening hours as shown here: https://www.sub.uni-goettingen.de/en/news/details/suspension-of-on-site-services-of-the-goettingen-state-and-university-library-from-wednesday-16-dec/

    Instructions for printing with your smartphone can be found in the StudIT wiki (in German): https://wiki.student.uni-goettingen.de/support/drucken

    #ÖA 15.01.2021

  • quality management

    In principle, the Quality Management System should prove its worth even under these difficult conditions. The obligation to accredit study programmes is not restricted or suspended during the Covid-19 pandemic; the University is still in the ongoing process of system accreditation. In principle, quality rounds should continue to be carried out for this reason – either virtually or in person whilst following the hygiene guidelines for face-to-face events. Quality rounds can be postponed to subsequent semesters in agreement with the Department of Student and Academic Services; in particular, it will be necessary to take into account that, as a rule, the date planned for the “zentrale Bewertung“ (“central evaluation”) cannot be postponed.

  • Quarantine on return from travelling

    I. Existing travel warning or quarantine requirement, before departure to a foreign country (private travel):

    In the case of obligatory self-isolation or ordered quarantine, a fee/payment will only be made for the part of your work that can be done working from home. If you are not able to carry out your work duties from home, the right to continued payment of your salary for the period of the officially imposed quarantine does not apply. Compensation under the infection protection act may then also not be paid.

    Please note that an officially ordered quarantine or self-isolation resulting from the corresponding regulations must be reported to the HR Department using the form to report absence in connection with the coronavirus.

    In individual cases, you can also apply for leave of absence without pay or remuneration.

    II: Travel warning or quarantine requirement, coming into force during the trip

    A distinction has to be made between the above regulations and cases in which there was no travel warning from the German Foreign Office at the time of the start of the trip and no other signs that could put the resumption of work at risk after the end of the holiday. According to current national regulations, signs are considered to be increasing numbers of new infections in the holiday country (applies to all EU member states, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, Switzerland and the UK), with the critical value currently being 50 new infections per 100,000 inhabitants in the last seven days, as well as no indication from the RKI that the risk of infection for the individual is not considered low (applies to all other countries).

    If you are obliged to go into (as currently required) 10-day self-isolation or an officially ordered quarantine after your return from your trip as per the Lower Saxony regulations on quarantine measures for the containment of the coronavirus (Niedersächsische Quarantäne-Verordnung) from 6 November 2020 (Nds. GVBl. No. 39/2020), and are therefore unable to start work onsite as planned, you will be released from work in accordance with the infection protection act. You will then receive remuneration as a compensation payment according to the infection protection act. If you can fully carry out your work duties by working from home, you will of course receive your full salary. If it is possible to carry out a proportion of your work duties when working from home, the worktime account can be used. In these circumstances, please contact the HR department.

    III. Travel warnings in Germany

    To date, the Lower Saxony regulations concerning coronavirus do not contain any direct special provisions for German risk areas. If these are introduced in the future, the same regulations will apply as for countries abroad.

    IV. Business travel

    The Lower Saxony quarantine regulations also apply to returning after business trips. If the return journey takes place through other German states, business travellers must inform themselves about possible (different) entry regulations.

    #5 12.11.2020

  • Quarantine, infection (suspected or diagnosed), symptoms of illness

    Link: Flowchart for reporting COVID-19 cases at Göttingen University (not including UMG) as concerns staff

    Guide to dealing with quarantine and symptoms of disease

    I. Staff who are personally affected

    1. Staff with confirmed diagnosis

    a) With symptoms

    What happens next?           

    The doctor issues an AU-Bescheinigung (sick certificate). The public health department (Gesundheitsamt) instruct self-isolation (quarantine).

    Do I get salary/remuneration?         

    Continued payment of salary according to § 22 TV-L as per Entgeltfortzahlungsgesetz (continued remuneration law) for 6 weeks, plus sickness allowance (employees), or salary payment (those with Beamte or civil servant status) according to § 67 NBG, or continued remuneration according to continued remuneration law for 6 weeks (those with Hilftskräfte status).

    What do I have to do?          

    The note from the public health department and the sick note (including the form „Mitteilung einer Dienst- bzw. Arbeitsunfähigkeit“, which is a notification of incapacity to work) must be sent to the HR Department. The manager must be informed. The public health department will inform you when you are allowed to go back to work.

    If the required quarantine exceeds the duration of the sick leave, please also send the public health department’s note together with the form “Abwesenheit im Zusammenhang mit Corona” (absence in connection with the coronavirus) to the HR Department.

    b) Without symptoms

    What happens next?            

    No AU-Bescheinigung (sick certificate) will be issued. The public health department requires self-isolation (quarantine).

    Do I get salary/remuneration?         

    Continued remuneration (Entgeltfortzahlung) according to § 56 Abs. 1 Infektionsschutzgesetz (infection protection law) for 6 weeks (for those employed and those with Hilfskräfte status) or payment in accordance with § 67 NBG (civil servant status).

    What do I have to do?

    The note from the public health department must be sent to the HR department. The manager must be informed.

    2. Staff with symptoms of illness without a confirmed COVID-19 infection diagnosis

    a) general symptoms of illness              

    In the case of general, nonspecific and individually occurring symptoms of illness separate from the specific symptoms listed below at (b), staff may turn up at the office for work.

    However, due to the current situation, it is recommended to contact a doctor and have the symptoms checked.

    b) specific symptoms of disease

    If suffering from the symptoms listed here, there is a ban on entering the buildings of the University of Göttingen in accordance with the General Health and Hygiene Regulations (HYGIENEKONZEPT); from 21.10.2020 (official notification I of the University of Göttingen dated 23.10.2020/No. 61): unexplained cold symptoms, especially with fever, sore throat, cough and/or odour/taste disturbances.

    What next?

    Please stay at home and contact a doctor.

    You will receive a salary or remuneration for the period of incapacity from work according to the regulations that apply to you. The relevant sick certificate must be submitted to the HR department.

    If you subsequently test positive for Covid19, the guidelines above apply.

    If a Covid19 test is deemed not necessary or if it is negative, you can return to work as soon as you are feeling better. A separate certificate is not required.

    3. Staff without symptoms of illness but waiting for their own test results (not including those who opt to get a test done following a return trip from a risk area – see: Quarantine on return from travelling)

    Staff are neither unfit for work according to the legal regulations nor in quarantine in the sense of the infection protection act. For the protection of colleagues, the Presidential Board has decided on a ban on entering the premises and the following applies:

    • Immediately inform your manager and, using the appropriate form, also the HR Department (this can be submitted later).
    • As far as possible, you should work at home until the test result is available.
    • If your workplace is not suitable for working from home, you will be released for the period with pay/remuneration.
    • If available, proof of the pending test result or a corresponding note from the public health department must be submitted.

    In this category would be included, for example, testing following contact with someone carrying the infection outside your home.

    Testing due to a return journey from a risk area does not fall into this category. Please read the explanations under: Quarantine on return from travelling).

    II. Contact person of staff member diagnosed with infection

    2. Contact person diagnosed with infection

    What happens next?     
    Please contact the public health department and follow their instructions.

    Do I receive salary/remuneration?

    • If the public health department requires quarantine, you will receive remuneration according to § 56 paragraph 1 of the infection protection act for up to 6 weeks (employees and Hilfskräfte) or remuneration according to § 67 NBG (status of Beamte/civil servant).
    • If the public health department initially requires a test without an explicit quarantine period, the regulations listed under A.I.3.) apply. Those concerned are then not allowed to enter the University. If the work cannot be carried out from home, a paid leave of absence is granted.
    • If the public health department does not require a test, you can carry on working as usual.

    2. Contact has symptoms of illness but no test

    a) General and nonspecific symptoms of illness             
    In the case of the above-mentioned unspecific symptoms of illness of a contact (especially in one’s own household) there is no reason to stay away from the office.

    b) Specific symptoms of illness              
    If a contact person has the above-mentioned specific symptoms of illness (especially in your own household), please ask a doctor to clarify the reason for the symptoms.

    If no test is required, there is no reason to stay away from work. If the contact person is a child under 12 years of age, the general regulations as applicable to sick children (“Kind krank“) applies to the employment or service relationship.

    3. Contact person with/without symptoms and waiting for test result

    a) Contact in own household 
    In order to protect colleagues, the Presidential Board has decided on a ban on entering the premises and the following applies:

    • Immediately inform your manager and, using the appropriate form, also the HR Department (if necessary, this can be submitted later).
    • As far as possible you can work from home until the test result is available.
    • If your workplace is not suitable for working from home, you will be released for the time with pay/remuneration.
    • If available, proof of the pending test result or a corresponding note from the public health department must be submitted.

    III. Corona-Warn-App and Laienschnelltest (lateral flow/antigen self-tests)
    If the Corona Warning App tells you that you have had contact with a person carrying the infection, this alone is no reason to stay away from work.

    Please report to the public health department and follow their advice.

    On the subject of Laienschnelltest, please read the entry on lateral flow/antigen self-tests in the A-Z list.

    Further information

    Please see the Robert Koch Institute (RKI) information on Covid-19 or the German Federal Ministry of Health’s information about Covid-19 in Germany.

  • Rapid Antigen Self-Test

    In a decision made by the German and state governments on 22 March 2021, it was stated that regular testing of employees in companies should be taking place as part of the voluntary commitment of employers. To implement this strategy, the state of Lower Saxony is now providing rapid antigen self-tests as part of a University project. These rapid self-tests (“Laienschnelltest”) can be carried out by the employees themselves. Medical professionals or expertise are not required. The tests provided by Lower Saxony may vary in the way they should be used. For more information about the tests and instructions for use, see the homepage of the Safety/Environmental Section.

    Employees present onsite at the University are to be offered a test twice a week. The use of the self-tests is on a voluntary basis. The self-tests are distributed in the institutions. See the schedule for the distribution and implementation (PDF) of the rapid antigen self-tests and please contact your supervisor. An order cannot be placed via the usual ordering process of the procurement department. Please coordinate your needs within your institution. The self-tests will be ordered by the institution managers in accordance with the agreed ordering procedures. The orders must be submitted on Mondays for the following week.

    Managers who do not have information on the procurement of self-tests should contact: laienschnelltest@uni-goettingen.de.

     The self-tests should be carried out at home if possible. In the institutions, it should be ensured that only two tests per person is given out per week. In the event of a positive test result, employees are obliged to inform their supervisor and have a PCR test from their family doctor or a test centre for confirmation or otherwise of the result. If this PCR test is also positive, the rules listed in the A-Z list under “Infection” apply (see also Information for employees (PDF)).

    This is currently still a project to gain knowledge about the effectiveness of these rapid self-tests. The University is required to report the number of positive rapid self-tests and confirmed positive PCR tests to the state of Lower Saxony. This requires that the relevant supervisor, when made aware of the results, to report the following to laienschnelltest@uni-goettingen.de:

    • the number of positive rapid test results, without personal data,


    • the number of confirmed positive PCR tests (after a previous positive rapid self-test), without personal data

    Please also see schedule of distribution and implementation of rapid self-tests.

    The provision of rapid self-tests by Lower Saxony offers the University the opportunity to combine its testing strategy, as implemented since November 2020 within the framework of Campus Covid Screen, in an optimal fashion with the rapid self-tests now available. The option of taking part in a test as part of Campus Covid Screen remains unaffected by this and is still recommended as a weekly test.

    Please send any suggestions or queries to the email address: laienschnelltest@uni-goettingen.de.

    #S 30.04.2021

  • regulations and decrees

    The current status according to state law can be found on the website of the state government at (https://www.niedersachsen.de/Coronavirus/vorschriften-der-landesregierung-185856.html in German). In particular, the current „Niedersächsische Verordnung über infektionsschützende Maßnahmen gegen die Ausbreitung des Corona-Virus“ (Lower Saxony regulations on infection-protection measures against the spread of the corona virus) and the state government’s phased plan „Neuer Alltag in Niedersachsen“ (New day-to-day life in Lower Saxony) are available for download in German.

    General rulings and information from the City of Göttingen can be accessed, in German, at https://www.goettingen.de/aktuelles/notfall-erlass-das-aendert-sich-ab-sofort-2020-03-17.html You will also find the link to the current general rulings from the Amtsblatt (the Göttingen Official Gazette) (https://www.goettingen.de/rathaus/bekanntmachungen/amtsblatt/amtsblatt-2020.html).

    SARS-CoV-2 Oc­cu­pa­tio­nal Sa­fe­ty and He­alth Stan­dard (Federal Ministry of Labour and Social Affairs)

  • regulations and measures for protection against infection

    On 29 July, 2020, a revised document was published about the regulations and measures for protection against infection during these times of reduced presence operation at the University.

  • Residence permit

    The Foreigners’ Registration Office of the city and district of Göttingen are open and can be reached as usual. Due to the pandemic, there are still some procedural delays and restrictions in personal contact.

    #GI 21.09.2020

  • risk groups

    People at higher risk of developing severe COVID-19 disease

    People who have an increased risk of developing severe Covid-19 should be offered the option of staying away from the workplace if the recommended occupational safety measures cannot be observed there. Particular attention should be paid here to maintaining a minimum distance of 1.5 m from other persons or, if this is not possible, wearing a mouth-nose cover for all persons involved. Office workplaces in an individual office, for example, do not pose a risk of infection; the care of small children in a day care centre would not be recommended for persons at risk.

    If managers can offer their employees (including student assistants) a secured workplace, there is no need for risk groups to stay away from the workplace. If you have any questions regarding the assessment of an employee’s illness and/or the design of a workplace that is as safe as possible, the company medical service offers advice for managers and employees.

    The medical certificate required under the previous regulations should be presented to assist the occupational health service in any case, but is now no longer sufficient in itself to obtain leave from work.

    #5 05.05.2020

  • staff development

    Can I take part in staff development courses during the coronavirus pandemic?

    Yes, you can. The HR Development Section is now making available its initial offerings as online courses. These can be found in the qualification portal and are marked ONLINE. The classroom courses will not take place until further notice.

    We request that you visit our qualification portal regularly to keep up to date. You can also stay informed via the HR Development Newsletter.

    How do I register for staff development courses?

    Due to the current situation, the HR Development Section does not currently require a completed registration form. It is sufficient to send an email to personalentwicklung@uni-goettingen.de. Please put your supervisor in cc and send us the following details:

    • Course title
    • Date of the course
    • Last name, first name
    • Institution / Institute
    • Phone or email

    You will receive a response from the HR Development Section as soon as possible.

    For further information click here.

  • staying abroad

    I am employed by the University and I am currently on holiday / travelling in a private capacity abroad. A return flight is currently not possible. May I start my period of mobile working in my current location or do I have to extend my vacation?

    The University welcomes every effort by its employees to overcome the problems caused by the coronavirus crisis. When working abroad, however, there are arguments against mobile working due to certain aspects of social security law. Since you are not on a business trip abroad, you cannot simply resume work at your current location without constraints. In addition to the lack of technical or other requirements, the usual social insurance regulations still apply, even in this difficult period. In consultation with your manager, who will justify the necessity and the possibility of your activity in writing (by email to you), you could spend a maximum of 25% of your working time per month abroad doing mobile working. If you are unable to get a return flight to Germany after these days, please apply for annual leave (holiday), a leave of absence without pay or – if you are part of the system to record your working time – take time off in lieu.

  • student assistants

    Do student assistants have to make up their hours as soon as they can work again?

    In principle, the same rules apply to student assistants as to employees covered by standard employment agreements. This means that research and student assistants are also released from work with pay. If it is possible to carry out the required duties from home, this should be agreed with the supervisor and the tasks assigned accordingly.

    If student assistants are absent due to the coronavirus, notification of absence in connection with the coronavirus is required (see “Abwesenheit im Zusammenhang mit dem Corona-Virus” on the Formular Center on the Mitarbeiter Portal under “M”).

    Can we retrospectively reduce the hours worked by student assistants because they were unable to carry out their work?

    No, retrospective contract changes are not permitted. You are welcome to request a reduction in working hours for the future in agreement with the student assistant.

    To do so, please submit an application for a change in working hours and send it to the appropriate administrator in the HR Department. In addition, hours not worked do not have to be made up, as the same exemption regulation applies to this group as to employees covered by standard employment agreements. This is treated like paid time-off.

    Working from home can be a solution, provided that the work can be carried out in the home environment.

  • Students with children

    Information and tips for students with children can be found at Corona: information on Work-Life Balance

    The Facebook Group: “Studieren mit Kind an der Uni Göttingen” (Studying with children at Uni Göttingen) offers the opportunity to exchange ideas. https://www.facebook.com/groups/707007979634877

  • Study Abroad and Internships

    Will it be possible to complete a semester abroad in the summer semester 2021?

    Due to the constantly changing conditions, students who have already been nominated for an exchange programme should get in touch directly with their usual contacts directly for up-to-date information.

    The International Student Advisors at Göttingen International can be reached via the contact form: https://www.uni-goettingen.de/en/626499.html

    What about students who are planning a (compulsory) semester abroad or who are already abroad? Are they required to return to their home university if the Covid 19 pandemic gets worse? 

    There is no mandatory requirement for students to return to their home university. However, students who are abroad are recommended by the University of Göttingen to heed the recommendations and travel warnings of the Federal Foreign Office and return accordingly. 

    Note to Erasmus+ KA 103 students: If possible, students are recommended to postpone their stay or start the semester virtually from their home university. Please consult the programme officers and the Erasmus+ KA team. 

    Note to PROMOS students: If there is a general travel warning from the Federal Foreign Office, the stay cannot be continued and students are urgently requested to interrupt their stay and return to their home country. 

    For students whose degree programmes have a compulsory stay abroad, will these requirements be suspended?

    At present, only limited travel is possible, therefore very few students are abroad. After making adjustments to the APO, among other things some digital and virtual alternatives are already being offered. However, an appropriate solution for each affected degree programme with compulsory stays abroad is required on a case by case basis. The faculty coordinators or programme coordinators must work with the respective partner universities to achieve this.

    Teacher training: What about mandatory study-related stays abroad that had to finish early? Is it still possible to obtain recognition for the traineeship?

    Students who are in the process of studying a two-subject Bachelor’s programme or who are at the beginning of their Master’s programme are advised on their study planning and will get support to postpone the planned study-related stay abroad to a later period.

    In order to avoid the effects of the current exceptional situation extending the time spent studying, students who are already close to the end of their Master’s programme can apply for compensation for the study-related stay abroad.

    For this purpose, students must already have acquired at least 61 credits in their Master’s of Education. The compensation will be agreed with the academic advisors on a case-by-case basis.

    An application must be submitted to the relevant examination board.

    #GI & ZEWIL 13.10.2020

  • study guidance and councelling

    Is guidance and counselling by video conference possible?

    Yes, if all parties involved agree to it. The services of the GWDG should be used preferentially, e.g. BigBlueButton.

    Some places now also offer counselling walks and other formats, please check the website of the respective institution.

    5. October 2020

  • Teaching

    Virtual Learning

    Updated: 31 July 2020

    For tips on usage of the various digital learning tools, see https://www.uni-goettingen.de/en/624565.html

  • Vaccination

    A vaccination scheme is currently being set up at the University, which will be open to University employees and students alike in June 2021. Vaccination appointments will be allocated via a University website where you can register with your University login – in much the same way as you would regsister for Campus Covid Screen. We will let you know as soon as it is possible to register for an appointment.

    At this time, we assume that when this service starts there will no longer be any vaccination prioritisation. Should prioritisation still be in place, contrary to expectations, the allocation of appointments will have to follow this. There will be no further prioritisation among employees or students by the University.

    However, we are dependent on the availability of the vaccine. The University management and the Betriebsärztlicher Dienst (occupational health service) are working to source additional supplies. However, at least at the beginning we will only receive a few hundred doses per week. For this reason, we ask all students and employees who already have the opportunity to be vaccinated to take advantage of this as soon as possible and to use alternative vaccination options even after the start of the service.

    Many thanks to the City, the UMG and the Studentenwerk for their support in setting up the vaccination scheme!

    More Info and update: https://www.uni-goettingen.de/en/645319.html

    #ÖA 14.06.2021

  • ventilation
  • video conferencing
  • Visitors, staff and students from abroad (incomings)

    It is possible to admit guests.

    The current versions of the Lower Saxony Corona Regulation and Quarantine Regulation apply to incoming researchers. The latter allows an exemption for vaccinated people entering from a risk area or high-incidence area (but not for entry from a virus variant area!):

    • People who have been fully vaccinated with a vaccine approved in the European Union no earlier than 15 days prior to entry and can prove this with a valid vaccination card, or alternatively with a completed vaccination record in accordance to §22 IfSG, are no longer required to self-isolate/quarantine when entering from a risk area or a high-incidence area.
    • Fully vaccinated people entering from a virus variant area must complete the fourteen-day self-isolation and cannot shorten this period by testing locally.
    • The compulsory testing at the federal level for people entering the country remains in force and unchanged; it does not provide for any exemptions to the regulations for vaccinated people.
    • According to the Coronavirus Entry Regulation of the Federal Government, people arriving by air must present a negative PCR test before departure. 

    The Immigration Office of Göttingen is currently not open. Applications for granting or renewing residence permits are accepted by post after initial contact by email or telephone. To collect issued permits, collection appointments must be arranged

    The latest changes have also been incorporated in a new version of the “Rules and procedures for admitting people to the University of Göttingen” (version 3.0, 17th May 2021).

    International students can find specific information at https://uni-goettingen.de/de/639238.html.

    #GI 17.05.2021

  • volunteering

    I would like to volunteer in the summer semester 2020 to support society in the Coronavirus crisis. Can I apply for leave for a semester to do this?

    Updated: 9 April 2020

    Yes: initially limited to the summer semester 2020, volunteering in the healthcare system (or in a comparable or supporting area) is recognized in the matriculation regulations (please see §9 Abs. 2 Satz 2 der Immatrikulationsordnung). The protection of at-risk groups to help them cope with the coronavirus crisis is also considered an important reason for a leave of absence.

    The engagement must cover the major part of regular working hours (at least more than 20 hours per week and lasting at least two months). The commitment must be proven by a statement from the supported institution. This can also be done outside Germany

  • When does the lecture period start for the winter semester?

    The start of the lecture period has been postponed to November 2 for winter semester 2020/21. All dates including any possible changes can be found under Dates and deadlines

  • working from home

    At the workplace and working from home

    English translation provided for informational purposes.  If the English and German versions allow different interpretations, the German version should be followed.

    Regulations on coming to the workplace and working from home, in addition to exemption from the service agreements on working time at the University of Göttingen from 1 October 2020 onwards.

    These regulations will still apply at levels 2 (orange) and 3 (red), except where other regulations that have been communicated stipulate otherwise (eg multiple-occupancy offices or having to work from home).

    At level 2 (yellow), these regulations apply without restriction, but any regulations in force across Germany (eg health and safety laws applicable at work during the coronavirus pandemic) must be observed.

    This regulation agreement shall apply at least until 30 September 2021 for the time of restricted running of the University.


    The aim of the agreement approved by the Personalrat (staff council) and the department on the exemption from the service agreements on working hours is: the gradual transition from running in-person teaching and research at a reduced level, to a predominantly in-person operation; while maintaining the appropriate distancing and hygiene regulations and through the targeted use of supporting modern working methods such as working from home or in shifts in shared-use areas, in order to be able to comply with the health and hygiene constraints due to the pandemic.

    The national and international situation does not yet permit a complete return to in-person university operation, but there is an increasing desire and need to return to carrying out the business in person. Of course, compliance with the appropriate health and hygiene regulations plays an important role in this. Together with the staff council, the following were therefore agreed:

    • The use of single-occupancy offices is generally desired as a matter of priority, unless the distancing and hygiene regulations cannot be complied with for other reasons.
    • The use of multiple-occupancy offices is possible in principle, provided that the distancing and hygiene regulations can be complied with. Sufficient ventilation must also be ensured.
    • Use of working from home as a further measure to support controlling the infection if the following requirements are met:

    Multiple-occupancy offices

    Taking into account the regulations and measures for protection against infections, the use of double- or multiple-occupancy offices with several people sharing is also possible. Whether the specific use of multiple occupancy of an office (or several offices within an area) is indicated, from the point of view of infection control, should be clarified by a risk assessment to be prepared to this aim, potentially with support from the Safety/Environmental Section and/or Betriebsärtzlicher Dienst (occupational health service). (See also „Gefährdungsbeurteilung Schutz gegen Ausbreitung Coronavirus” (risk assessment: protection against the spread of coronavirus) on the homepage of the Safety/Environmental Section, www.uni-goettingen.de/de/623905.html). If the regulations and measures for protection against infections cannot be met, cohort formation with working from home (as described below) is recommended as a supporting measure. The specific design is the responsibility of the responsible manager(s), in consultation with the Safety/Environmental Section and/or occupational health service as necessary.

    Working from home

    Working from home can continue to serve as a way to support the implementation of the health and hygiene regulations if the work can be done from home and business concerns such as the requirement to provide a service or similar, do not conflict with this. In specific terms, this means that the organisational units that were previously predominantly or exclusively active working from home return to running normally in such a way that ensures that reasonable staffing levels at least are onsite at all times (insofar as this corresponds to regular business as before the coronavirus pandemic). Tailored models with alternating shift patterns in any form are preferable in order to comply with hygiene regulations and must be recorded in order to trace possible chains of infection. Furthermore, working from home can only be made possible if the official work assignments can be carried out from home. This means that both the environment at home must be suitable for work and all other technical and infrastructural requirements must be met, taking into account the University’s information security policy and the data protection policy. This also includes the availability of official hardware and software. There is no automatic entitlement to work from home. When granting this, the absences of colleagues due to leave and ensuring a continuous service must, of course, be taken into account.

    For employees who meet the requirements for working from home and cannot work onsite for reasons of health/hygiene, the following regulations continue to apply:

    • Employees who participate in the worktime recording system should record their actual working hours independently via ESS as soon as possible. If this is not possible from home for technical reasons, the times should first be noted and then entered into the system onsite when next logging on.
    • Employees who have caring duties may also carry out their activities outside the standard framework for flexitime in consultation with their manager, departing from the usual service agreement. However, overtime rates for night, Saturday and other out-of-hours work do not apply. For recording purposes, it is necessary that these persons are reported to the personnel department (personalorganisation@zvw.uni-goettingen.de) by the manager. The regulations of the Arbeitszeitgesetzes (working time act), in particular the mandatory minimum rest periods, must be strictly followed.
    • The accumulation of flexitime credits during periods working from home should be avoided as far as possible. If an individual employee, a group of employees or an institution is to work overtime for official reasons, the responsible manager must submit an application for overtime to the Human Resources Department (personalorganisation@zvw.uni-goettingen.de).
    • If you work partly onsite and partly from home, any journey between working onsite and working from home does not count towards working time.

    At-risk groups:

    The following regulations applies unchanged to those who are considered at-risk according to the RKI:

    – At-risk groups should be allowed to stay away from the workplace if the recommended occupational safety measures cannot be observed there. Here, special consideration should be given to maintaining a minimum distance of 1.5m from other persons or, if this is not possible, to the wearing of a face mask by all persons concerned. Office workplaces in a single-person office, for example, do not pose an infection risk.

    – If managers can offer their employees (including student assistants) a safe workplace, there is no need for risk groups to stay away from the workplace. The occupational health service offers advice to managers and employees on how to evaluate the illness of an employee and/or how to create the safest possible workplace.

    – A medical certificate stating that a person belongs to the at-risk group is not in itself sufficient to obtain time off work. Rather, a statement from the occupational health service is required.


    If a local (for instance in your institute) regulation leads to the temporary change in the normal pattern of work for a certain period of time (for example in order to ensure a kind of shift operation), this requires the consent of the Personalrat, which must be obtained, as usual, by the HR department.

    The above regulations will be adapted at short notice if changes in the rates of infection and legal regulations make this necessary.

    If you have any questions regarding the possible design of onsite workplaces with regard to the necessary safety precautions, please contact the Safety/Environmental Section and/or occupational health service. As always, please direct any questions regarding employment law to the HR Department.

    The positive experiences gained so far (working from home, teleworking, mobile working) should be used to achieve improvements for all concerned.

    A service agreement on teleworking will be agreed in the near future.

    #5 10.06.21

  • ZESS

    Will the ZESS courses (e.g. language courses) take place?

    All information regarding courses offered by the Centre for Languages and Key Qualifications during the pandemic can be found at https://www.uni-goettingen.de/en/623734.html